Position InformationPresent Position Number00245VRole Code TitleEquip Serv & Repair Tech IIPosition TitleMarine MechanicPosition Summary
Marine Operations at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science is accepting applications for a junior level Marine Mechanic.
The Marine Operations Department is comprised of a dedicated group of professionals whose primary function is to provide safe access to the marine environment for all students, staff, faulty and other users and to support the needs of these users as they relate to vessels, field support services, instrument fabrication, equipment repair and servicing.
The Marine Mechanic helps provide support to the fleet of vessels owned and operated by the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS). This position performs repairs to various types of marine equipment, performs preventative maintenance and develops maintenance plans for their supervisor to review. In addition to supporting vessels, the Marine Mechanic position maintains shop and Marine Operations heavy equipment. This position functions as part of the Marine Operations team and as such will prioritize safety and professionalism in all tasks performed. The Marine Mechanic position reports to the Port Engineer, who directs maintenance and fabrication activities for the department.
Specific responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Assists in preventative and routine maintenance projects on all vessels.
- Safely operates various different power tools and fabrication equipment to successfully accomplish assigned tasks.
- Adheres to all federal, state and internal safety regulations associated with the work being conducted. Helps ensure that all work spaces are kept clean and organized.
- Provides recommendations to the Port Engineer on project specific maintenance or repair efforts as appropriate.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of basic maintenance and repair on mechanical engines.
- Proficiency in using personal computers which includes experience with MS Office applications and basic email programs.
- Effective communication and interactive skills, with the ability to work with diverse groups.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- History of working with basic power tools in either a marine, automotive or construction setting.
- Experience working in a shop setting.
- Experience working in a group environment where cooperation was needed to complete tasks.
- Yamaha certified mechanic.
- Any level of engineering, deck or operator’s license issued by the United States Coast Guard.
- Significant knowledge in troubleshooting, repairing and maintaining outboard motors.
- In depth knowledge of fiberglass repair, refinishing, gel coating and paint systems.
- Familiarity with fabrication equipment.
- Ability to operate a forklift and other heavy equipment.
- Experience operating small vessels (less than 25’).
- Experience supporting research vessels or marine science.
- Experience working at in commercial marine setting.
U07Job Open Date10/16/2020Review Begin DateJob Close Date11/16/2020Open Until FilledNoEmployment CategoryFull Time OperationalPosition Term12-MonthSpecial Application InstructionsConditions of Employment:
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc. as directed and approved by the supervisor.
- Must maintain an active driver’s license at all times.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter