Faculty Position in Sport Business
The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business at Buena Vista University (BVU) seeks a dynamic teacher who is committed to excellence in undergraduate sport business education. The successful candidate will teach a variety of courses in the undergraduate curriculum such as: sport management, sport marketing, sport law, and facility and event management. The ideal candidate will teach other courses in the business core and/or for business general education consistent with his/her credentials and interest. This position will serve as lead faculty in the sport business program, working collaboratively to develop and guide the program.
The Business major in the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is designed to develop in students strong analytical, interpersonal, and professional skills grounded in a comprehensive understanding of contemporary business. The curriculum emphasizes experiential learning through opportunities such as internships, practicums, attendance at professional conferences, and partnering with faculty on research. Additional hands-on experience can be gained through engaging with the Lamberti Center for Rural Entrepreneurship.
- Teach 12 credit hours per fall and spring semesters
- Develop an innovative curriculum to grow key skills and knowledge sets in our students
- Work to incorporate experiential learning opportunities into the student experience
- Practice quality interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Function independently and work effectively as a team member
- Possess ability and willingness to work with diverse populations
- Supervise, mentor, and advise students and student organizations
- Remain active and current in the field through professional development activities
- Be responsible for University service such as committee work and participation in departmental projects
- Assist in recruitment of students to the University
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Sport Business or a closely related field (non-tenure track).
- Ability to teach a variety of courses in the business and sport business curriculum
- Ability to teach, advise, and guide the professional development of students.
- Ability to build connections with professionals in industry.
- PhD in Sport Business or closely related field (tenure track, or non-tenure track, depending on candidate’s qualifications and interests)
- Experience teaching at the post-secondary/university level
- Experience teaching courses in face-to-face and online settings
- Relevant professional experience in sport business
The Harold Walter Siebens Forum and the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business recently underwent a $15.1 million-dollar renovation project to include state of the art classrooms, trading room, and refreshed office, gathering and dining spaces. The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is an endowed school whose generous donors make it possible to support excellent value-added learning and professional development opportunities for students and faculty.
This position is not eligible for an employer-sponsored visa and all applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Please submit your letter of application, graduate school transcripts (photocopies acceptable but official copies required for appointment), teaching evaluation summaries, teaching philosophy statement, and current vita with the names of 4-6 references (including title, address, e-mail address and telephone number). Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled, with the priority deadline for submission of applications being January 15, 2021 for an August 2021 start date.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate. Buena Vista University is an EOE/ADA/Smoke-Free Employer, and especially welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to any aspect of the university’s diversity.
BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY
Buena Vista University is located on the shores of beautiful Storm Lake, a 3,200-acre natural lake located in Northwest Iowa. Since 1891, we have prepared students for lifelong success and blended liberal arts with real-world applications. BVU expands access to a quality education by empowering the people who propel Iowa forward in order to power rural vitality and personal prosperity. We foster an environment based on success both for our students and our employees, and we strive to build and support a diverse community. BVU firmly stands behind our motto, Education for Service, and was recently awarded the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification.
In Storm Lake you will find impressive amenities perfect for families, students, young professionals, and retirees alike. Residents and visitors enjoy an energetic downtown that is home to a variety of locally-owned retail stores that complement several national chains. There is an array of shopping, dining, and professional services, as well as a vibrant arts and multicultural environment. We are a diverse community in both population and opportunity. Most important, Storm Lake residents enjoy a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Learn more at BVU.edu/StormLake.