Location: Baker College Online
Compensation: Compensation based on experience and existing rates for similar positions within Baker College Professional Services, Inc.
Start Date: ASAP
Reports To: Department Chair
Work Schedule: Varies
Application Deadline: October 19, 2020
Available To: All Applicants
Baker College Professional Services, Inc. seeks to hire an individual to be assigned to the position of Professional Tutor (PART-TIME) for the benefit of and to be located at Baker College Online.General Statement of Duties:
The primary purpose of this job is to support students doing coursework in one-on-one or small group tutoring sessions. This individual will also be responsible to carry out general duties specific to needs of the campus Academic Resource Center such as assisting in workshops and/or labs, working with special needs students, setting up computers, assisting in the computer lab, proctoring tests, scheduling tutoring appointments, checking out materials, or other duties as assigned.Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university in English, math, education, or medical/health science required; Master degree from an accredited college or university in English, math, education, or medical/health science preferred
- Experience required in high school or college level teaching or tutoring, and working with at risk and special needs students
- Experience in higher education providing support to students in a learning environment Candidate must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Tutor students individually and in groups
- Assist in training of tutors
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and attention to students with patience, courtesy, respect, and assisting them through instruction rather than performing the functions for them
- Promote independence in learning
- Facilitate student insights into learning and learning processes
- Provide a student perspective on learning and academic success
- Writing Center: Assist student and faculty writers at any stage of the writing process (understanding the assignment, brainstorming, drafting, revising, etc.), on topics, genres, and audiences from any discipline, through both synchronous and asynchronous sessions
- Writing Center: Provide helpful feedback and insights regarding writing in response to an individual writer's particular task or draft, or requested specifics
- Writing Center: Foster a positive experience with writing and with the Writing Center
- Participate in professional development and training as provided
- Other duties as assigned
Please submit cover letter and resume via email in care of:
Baker College’s combined Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available to anyone. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and three years’ worth of crime statistics for the school. This report is available online at https://www.baker.edu/student-services/living/campus-safety. You may also request a paper copy from the Baker College Campus Safety office.