Faculty - Medical Laboratory Technology
At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a 9 Month Faculty Member who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who will teach for our Medical Laboratory Technician Program.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSES:
- Certified MLT/MT ASCP (American Society of Clinical Pathology)
- MLT/MT AMT (American Medical Technologist)
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Required: 3 years experience in a Clinical Laboratory setting
Preferred: College level teaching experience with a NAACLS approved Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Technician Associate Degree Program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work well with a team or independently.
- Active Listening.
- Commitment to student success, innovation, collaboration and instructional quality.
- Communication Skills.
- Judgement and Decision Making Ability.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Exhibit effective teaching.
- Perform teaching activities, including classroom instruction, directing projects, and assisting with student coursework, research and internships.
- Plan, develop and present organized classroom instructions and learning opportunities for students in accordance with approved course outlines.
- Teach day and/or evening courses as required.
- Teach off-campus, dual credit and online courses as required.
- Demonstrate and maintain competence in the use of instructional technology.
- Demonstrate competence in his/her teaching field and related technologies.
- Develop curriculum.
- Prepare syllabus i.e., determine course content that is consistent with the catalog description.
- Select instructional materials (textbooks).
- Participate in faculty renewal and development programs.
- Attend briefings on procedures, advising, registration, and general policy.
- Assist with registration. Participate in recruitment activities.
- Complete appropriate administrative paperwork and performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Educate themselves regarding College policies.
- Provide extra help to students outside of class (not for pay).
- Ensure effective two-way communication at all levels of responsibility.
- Participates in department, division and college meetings as assigned or required.
- Assume responsibility for the orderliness of the learning environment and in the appropriate and safe use of instructional facilities and equipment.
- Attend faculty meetings, general assembly, and commencement.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Teaching Load: The teaching load for full-time faculty will normally consist of 15 load hours or equivalent assignments. Faculty are assigned by their chair to teach in their major fields, insofar as possible. They may, however, be assigned to teach in their minor fields in accordance with standards of accrediting associations. (Responsibilities for Non-teaching faculty will be individually prescribed).
Proportional Assignments: Full-time faculty appointed for less than a 15-load-hour assignment per semester shall receive accrued benefits proportional to the percentage of appointment.
Overload Assignments: Overload teaching may also be assigned as needed by the department chair (as referenced in the "Overload Assignments" section of the "Faculty Handbook). Pay for overload teaching will be based on the Part-time Instructor Salary Schedule rates.
Office Hours: Full-time faculty members must have regular office hours for teaching preparation, student advising, and other incidental tasks required for teaching. The schedule of classroom and office hours must be posted as soon after registration as possible.
Advising Requirements: Faculty will serve as academic advisors based on a divisional or departmental advising plan. The number of advisees will vary depending on the number of majors in a division. Adjustments in other responsibilities or compensation may be made if it is necessary for a faculty member to be the advisor for more than sixty students.
Committee Assignments: Each faculty member will normally be assigned membership on at least one institutional committee but may not be required to serve on more than three committees.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit for extended periods of time; and have sufficient hand, arm and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.
Work Environment: This job operates in a classroom setting and professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard classroom and office equipment such as microphones, audio/videorecorders, computers, overhead projectors, phones, copy and fax machines, and filing cabinets.
Salary: New faculty members will be placed appropriately on the College salary schedule established for their category of employment. When determining an employee's placement on the appropriate College salary schedule, the employee's position, responsibilities, experience, education, and years of service shall be considered.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.
Hiring Department: Associate Degree Nursing; Position Location: West Campus.