At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are accepting applications for Part Time Professional Tutors in varied subject areas who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and provide non-classroom, academic instruction to students on an individual or small-group basis for proactive or remedial purposes.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Required: Associate’s Degree
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work well with a team or independently.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Time management and organizational skills.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED:
- Must have maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Responsibility, reliability, punctuality and professionalism are expected.
- Must demonstrate willingness to contribute to the AC experience with every student.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, or build confidence in students.
- Teach students study skills, note-taking skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Review class material with students by discussing text, working solutions to problems, or reviewing worksheets or other assignments.
- Provide private instruction to individual or small groups of students to improve academic performance, improve occupational skills, or prepare for academic or occupational tests.
- Assess students' progress throughout tutoring sessions.
- Monitor student performance or assist students in academic environments, such as classrooms, laboratories, or computing centers.
- Organize tutoring environment to promote productivity and learning.
- Develop teaching or training materials, such as handouts, study materials, or quizzes as needed.
- Prepare lesson plans or learning modules for tutoring sessions according to students' needs and goals.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel between offices and buildings, and requires the ability to lift, carry, push, pull and/or maneuver office supplies as needed.
Working Conditions: This is a part time position not to exceed 19 hours/week.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, and filing cabinets.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.