Coordinator of Disability Services
At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking Coordinator of Disability Services who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who will lead and coordinate all efforts relating to the provision of services for students with disabilities.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Social Work, Psychology, or related field.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in Education, Social Work, Psychology, or related field preferred.
- Three years of experience working with special populations in higher education or in a public/private service agency.
- Successful record of program management or supervisory experience.
Preferred: Educational Diagnostician Certification or extensive experience in interpretation of diagnostic test results.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism with the ability to quickly develop rapport with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Able to work under stress.
- Able to work independently and as a team member.
- Strong computer skills.
- Familiarity with diverse disabilities and particular requirements as they pertain to academic needs.
- Extensive knowledge of community and state resources that support the disabled.
- Ability to assure confidentiality and secure documents and records.
- Ability to move between buildings on and off campus.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement goals, objectives and strategies to maximize services to students with disabilities.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate disability services personnel, and promote professional development opportunities for staff.
- Develop and administer annual budgets.
- Integrate technologies that improve efficiency and quality of services.
- Serve as counselor/advisor to students with disabilities.
- Collaborate with faculty and other Student Affairs staff in the delivery of enrollment management, registration, student engagement and retention activities as needed.
- Deliver career guidance that is informed by the content from Career Facilitator training.
- Qualify students with disabilities for reasonable and appropriate accommodations based on official documentation, and provide appropriate accommodations and services.
- Serve as liaison between students with disabilities and Amarillo College faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Chair and/or serve on AC and community committees that advocate for the needs of students with disabilities.
- Network with public schools and state agencies in relation to servicing and recruiting students with disabilities.
- Serve as the 504/ADA coordinator for the college.
- Be knowledgeable of current legal issues and laws pertaining to students with disabilities in higher education to ensure compliance with current legislation.
- Provide training for faculty and staff regarding legal responsibilities of the institution.
- Maintain and manage all budget and organizational records, data, and evaluations, and provide reports as needed.
- Keep confidential and updated records on each student with documented disabilities.
- Work closely with faculty, department chairs, and other administrators to foster quality and consistent policies and procedures for services for students with disabilities.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Conduct all activities with professionalism and respect for others.
- As an Amarillo College employee, the successful candidate will seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing these values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation and Yes!
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel between offices and buildings, and requires the ability to lift, carry, push, pull and/or maneuver office supplies as needed.
Working Conditions: Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Working Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, and filing cabinets.
Travel Expectations: Some travel may be required for this position.
Salary: Aligned with the current Amarillo College Salary Schedule for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
In order to be considered for the position, please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- At least 3 professional references with contact information.
- Provide the transcript that notes the highest degree earned.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.