Special Projects Worker
At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Special Projects Worker who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and perform set-up, tear-down, and special cleaning services as directed by the Special Projects Shift Leader. Duties are primarily related to preparing facilities for meetings or special activities held on campus and moving furniture and supplies for offices, classrooms, and labs.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Completion of Sixth Grade.
Preferred: High school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Required: 6 months of custodial or moving experience in a commercial setting.
Preferred: 2 years of custodial or moving experience in a commercial setting.
CERTIFICATES and LICENSES:
Preferred: Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to efficiently multitask with a sense of urgency and not lose sight of attention to detail.
- Ability to establish/maintain cooperative working relationships with staff and other departments.
- Ability to think and act quickly, accurately, and calmly in emergency situations.
- Ability to utilize adequate computer skills needed to perform the work required for the position.
- Knowledge of powered cleaning equipment use.
- Knowledge of proper methods of lifting and moving heavy objects.
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations with toxic cleaning agents.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in performing pick-up and delivery services for various campus departments.
- Set up furniture and equipment for special activities.
- Clean meetings rooms and assembly areas so that they are always presentable.
- Change light bulbs.
- Assume shift leader responsibilities in his/her absence.
- Perform other additional cleaning duties as assigned. Additional duties may include, but are not limited to: clean, sweep, mop, scrub, strip, wax, and polish floors; clean, vacuum, and dust carpet, upholstery, drapes, and furniture; wash windows, blinds, glass doors, and stair rails.; and clean chalkboards, erasers, and whiteboards.
- Collect and properly dispose of trash.
- Stock needed supplies and materials. Communicate needed supplies and materials to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Open and/or close buildings and classrooms for and after daily use.
- Display appropriate communication skills both written and verbal. Conduct self in a professional manner when asked to perform tasks, additional assignments or receive complaints. Deliver exemplary customer service to all employees, students, vendors, community members, etc. Must maintain professionalism in demeanor, work-style and dress.
- Required to demonstrate a strong work ethic with the ability to exercise good judgement and complete assigned paperwork and evaluations in a timely fashion. Must have strong attention to detail, good organizational skills, and ability to work under pressure to meet stringent deadlines. Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Required to interact with all levels of departmental personnel, students, community, and management. Required to maintain a commitment to discretion and confidentiality concerning sensitive information, and perform additional duties or job functions required/deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
- Comply with all college, state and local procedures, rules and regulations. Observe and promote continual improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring, striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Requirements - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel between offices, buildings, and campuses. Requires the ability to lift, carry, push, pull and maneuver cleaning supplies, equipment and other objects up to 50 pounds and maneuver heavier objects with assistance of others and/or appropriate equipment. Requires the ability to get down on and work on hands and knees, climb and work on ladders, and to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl as necessary
Working Conditions - Must be willing to work a flexible schedule (days, nights, weekends, holidays, varying events, and overtime as necessary and scheduled.) Timely and regular attendance for all employees is required to ensure adequate staffing, positive employee morale, and to meet expected productivity standards throughout the organization. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedules
Working Environment - This position operates in various office/campus facilities location in addition to indoor and outdoor environments. Standard equipment used in this position are dollies, moving carts/equipment, brooms, mops, mop buckets, dusting equipment, vacuums, floor buffers, steam and carpet cleaners, small to industrial size trash receptacles, and various hand-tools. During the performance of this position, the employee may be exposed to wet floors, waxed floors, dust, odors/fumes (typically occurring with cleaning agents and clogged fixtures/pipelines.) Outdoor work may occur in a variety of inclement weather and climatic conditions. Employee may be require work with minimal to little supervision. Self-sufficiency is critical.
Salary: Aligned with the current salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.