Executive Director, Retention & Student Services #497908
Posting DetailsPosting Number20112020Position TitleExecutive Director, Retention & Student Services #497908FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentEnrollment ServicesJob Summary/Basic Function
The Executive Director of Retention and Student Success provides leadership and direction in the creation, establishment, and coordination of retention and student success initiatives at Lamar University. The position requires outreach and collaboration with deans and academic departments to support educational efforts and retention and working closely to develop reporting systems for collecting, analyzing, and disseminating retention data to all stakeholders, The Executive Director of Retention and Student Success, in conjunction with the Administration, will be expected to set a strategic direction for “student success” initiatives aimed at increasing student retention and graduation rates with a focus at the Undergraduate level. The Executive director provides direct leadership to the University Advising Center and and Student Tutoring and Retention Services (STARS). The responsibilities of the Executive Director are to develop and grow a culture of student success; develop an integrated approach and plan for the delivery of academic support services in support of the institution’s commitment to student success; implement the Student Success Collaborative’ software campus-wide; and work in collaboration with multiple campus constituents to implement campus-wide student success and retention initiatives. The Executive Director will be responsible for monitoring student outcomes and retention, researching best practices in instruction, retention, and student support, coordinating University wide efforts to improve retention, and overseeing multiple initiatives aimed at improving student success and retention.
It is expected that the successful applicant will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds. The Executive Director will report to the Assistant Provost for Enrollment Management.
• Required: Master’s degree from an accredited institution
• Candidates must have experience managing budgets and assessing program effectiveness.
• Ability to work with and collaborate well with high-level administrators, faculty, staff, students and their families.
• Working knowledge of admissions, financial aid, Registrar and records, student accounts, and student support services.
• Have current knowledge of evidence-based best practices related to retention and student success.
• Works well as part of a team-oriented environment.
• Ability to analyze and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data for the purposes of implementing Innovative practices and strategies around retention and student success.
• Ability to maintain confidential information.
• Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
• Preferred: A minimum of 5 years experience working with students, faculty, and administrators in higher education, with experience managing programs focused on student retention and student success.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/16/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Do you have a Master's degree?
- * In what subject did you earn your Master's degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of full-time work experience do you have in Admissions, Recruitment, and/or Financial Aid?
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5 years
- 6+ years or more
- * How many years of progressive recruiting, admission and/or higher education experience in student services do you have? Please specify area(s) and years.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How much experience do you have with long-range planning and budgeting responsibilities?
- Extensive (more than 5 years) experience
- Some (2-4 years) experience
- Limited (1-2 years) experience
- Little (less than 1 year) experience
- Letter of Interest
- Official Transcript 1