IBB Program Administrator
Posting DetailsJob TitleIBB Program AdministratorDepartmentInstitute of Biosciences and BioengineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21123Open Date10/07/2020Close Date10/31/2020Salary Information
$43,800 – $58,000Work Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
Founded in 1986, The Institute of Biosciences and Bioengineering (IBB) is Rice University’s only institute dedicated to fostering interdisciplinary, bio-related research across the Schools of Natural Sciences and Engineering.
The IBB is home to several highly prestigious academic programs including the Systems, Synthetic, and Physical Biology (SSPB) graduate program and the National Science Foundation Research Traineeship in Bioelectronics (NRT Bioelectronics).
Reporting to the IBB program manager, the IBB program administrator will be responsible for performing all administrative and financial processes involving IBB’s programs (e.g. SSPB, NRT Bioelectronics, and summer undergraduate internships). This position also contributes to managing and maintaining IBB websites and social media.
The ideal candidate has related experience working at Rice University or in higher education; has advanced accounting skills; has experience with faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students in the context of training programs; and experience with international students and scholars; has familiarity with budgeting, reporting, and financial administration; is skilled with the most common managing software and applications, and has aptitude to learning new ones; works efficiently even under stress and is able to communicate, share, collaborate, and, if needed, delegate.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
- Three or more years of experience providing advanced administrative and/or program support.
- Experience with business and financial management.
- Related experience working at Rice University and/or higher education
- Experience with faculty, graduate students and undergraduate students in the context of training programs highly desired
- Experience with international students and scholars, in particular scientists and engineers, highly preferred
- Experience with grant proposal submissions
NoneLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Ability to develop and initiate new strategies
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Strong data analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans and handling issues when necessary
- Strong client service orientation and attention to detail
- Ability to develop complex or multiple program partnerships and funding sources
- Ability to oversee and direct staff
- Knowledge of managing budgets and developing financial plans
- Advanced accounting skills (e.g., journalizing financial transactions, creating financial statements, reconciling account balances)
- Proficiency with Rice’s systems, policies and procedures
- Proficiency with Concur
- Aptitude with learning new systems and applications
- Works efficiently even under stress and is able to communicate, share, collaborate, and, if needed, delegate
Internal: Frequent contact with faculty, staff from departments across the Rice University campus, and students at the undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral level
External: Contact with high profile visitors, researchers, faculty, government officials, corporate executives, caters and other event support vendors, and conference plannersPhysical Demands
- Requires sitting in front of a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day)
- Some lifting (up to ten pounds) is required in preparing for Institute meetings and events
- Pleasant office atmosphere
- Some weekends and/or long hours will be required in conjunction with special programs and events
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24769Essential Functions
- Administers program operations, ensuring efficient, effective and productive operations
- Creates and implements plans to achieve program objectives and mission
- Interprets, implements, and ensures compliance with policies and regulations and recommends changes to procedures and processes
- Analyzes data, identifies trends, develops reports and recommends and implements changes to improve alignment with institutional mission and goals
- Creates and implements outreach plans that may include relationship development, communications, event and conference management
- Provides support in developing relationships with internal and external entities
- May assist with fundraising activities
- Creates budget plans, monitors and approves expenditures, develops reports, conducts analyses and manages and maintains financial records
- For academic programs, may be responsible for graduate student recruitment and admissions, student records, curriculum support, coordinating the accreditation process, managing scholarships and fellowships, and monitoring student progress
- May supervise small staff (up to three full time staff)
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three or more years of experience providing advanced administrative and/or program support, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your experience with business and financial management, as well as any experience you have with grant proposal submissions.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)