Dean, College of Social Sciences
Job location: Pasadena, CA - Remote
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-16
We are considering applicants who are based in the following locations only:RemoteJob Description:
The Dean is the primary bridge between the University administration and the college and is expected to cultivate a vibrant, healthy relationship with the University administration, faculty and system employees as well as advocate for the needs of the college and its faculty. Furthermore, the Dean serves as head of their assigned college and is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the functioning of the college and its external college relations. The Dean reports directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA)/Chief Academic Officer (CAO). The Dean is responsible for supporting University governance as delegated by the President and.
The Dean works to ensure high standards of academic quality; maintains a well-credentialed faculty committed to excellence instruction;;assists in leading and executing on accreditation, supporting multi-state approval and authorization activities, as appropriate; drives the strategic direction of all academic units; creates and manages budgets with a focus on strong fiscal discipline; and maintains alignment of all academic initiatives outlined in the institution’s strategic plan.
The Dean is also responsible for creating and maintaining processes that effectively unite academic units, supporting enrollment management services, and student success efforts to execute on key initiatives the institution.
This individual is a key member of the President’s Cabinet (University Leadership Team) and may assist the President or VPAA during periods of vacancy, vacation, or illness of the President or VPAA/CAO .
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Identify, in collaboration with the VPAA/CAO and President, key initiatives and execute on these initiatives.
- Engage in entrepreneurial efforts (e.g., curricular) to expand the mission and reach of Saybrook University.
- As the public face for the College and University, seek to build relationships in collaboration with the President and VPAA/CAO with stakeholder groups including academic and philanthropic partnerships. Collaborate on University issues.
- Oversee, create and implement academic policies and procedures.
- Lead programmatic enrollment through dynamic recruitment efforts, marketing (i.e., on-ground and online), and registration efforts.
- Ensure timely review and updates of Program Handbooks, Catalog, and other Publications.
- Work with the VPAA/CAO office to develop and support a culture of on-going program review, self-study and learning assessment throughout the school.
- Provide reports and attend board meetings as needed.
- Supervise Chairs of all degree programs and other areas, as appropriate.
- In collaboration with Department Chairs, supervise core teaching faculty including:
- Manage faculty contracting/agreement and evaluation processes;
- Develop plan for faculty development; and
- Faculty hires, termination, etc.
- Work to create a culture of strong faculty engagement, including acculturation, training and professional development for core and adjunct faculty.
- Attend and create agenda for faculty meetings.
- Attend program meetings as needed.
- Work closely with faculty leaders.
- Help design, be present, and assist at Residential Orientations and Conferences.
- Deliver strong area financial performance throughout each fiscal year.
- Prioritize utilization of funding for academic units that aligns with the mission and strategic development initiatives, and tuition generation.
- Prepare and present annual operation and capital budgets for Academic Affairs areas.
- Develop/administer an annual operating budget.
- Develop and submit the annual capital budget to VPAA/CAO for University Board approval.
- Monitor productivity, cost-effectiveness, and develop strategies for improvement.
- Pursue potential for revenue enhancements and expense reduction.
- Connect with University Relations in support of Community Advancement and Engagement
Institutional and Program Effectiveness Leadership
- Assume an active role in regional, professional and other accreditation activities as appropriate.
- Interpret and perform assignments in compliance with pertinent Federal, State and local laws, and contractual regulations relative to areas of assignment.
- Work with appropriate staff to supervise, monitor and review college discipline activities, student rights and due process, meet with and advise faculty on student discipline procedures, campus publicity and facilities use, as appropriate.
- Work with appropriate staff to facilitate resolution of student issues, complaints and grievances in compliance with procedures for conflict resolution.
- Provide leadership on and remain involved in Institutional and Divisional learning assessment initiatives, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Academic Affairs, Office of Institutional Research, as well as all other institutional divisions and offices, and apply a variety of objective and subjective data to assess the effectiveness of curricular and program design.
- Facilitate divisional faculty-staff engagement on all matters related to Institutional effectiveness.
- Strong background in and/or knowledge of academic processes, student affairs and enrollment management a strong plus.
- Knowledge of finance and complex systems.
- Demonstrated track record in strategic planning and revenue enhancement highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to translate business processes within the academic milieu.
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching, practice, research and demonstrated leadership in related field (experience with on-line instruction is desirable).
- Demonstrated ability to create a sense of unity and common purpose and manage change effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to build teams and effective working relationships.
- Promotion of interdisciplinary work within and beyond the Department.
- Commitment to teach one (1) to two (2) classes per academic year within the College.
- Doctorate from a regionally accredited Institution of higher learning in a related field is required. (PhD, EdD, PsyD degrees are preferred)
- Minimum of 8-10 years of combined faculty and administrative experience, highly desired.
- Knowledge of higher education best practices.
- Experience with accreditation agencies is strongly preferred, not required.
- Collegial attitude and willingness to work within a matrix organization.
- Clear communication skills.
- License or certification in appropriate discipline, as appropriate (i.e., clinical psychology, counseling, coaching, etc.).
- Engagement in ongoing technology education and adoption of new systems and processes.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package. Some of our key benefits include: paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan, and multiple flexible spending accounts(FSA),Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
About Saybrook University:
Saybrook University was founded over 40 years ago by some of thegreatestmindsofthe20centuryand continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. Anon-profit regionally accredited university known its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University’s academic model puts the student at the center of everything do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience.
Saybrook offers advanced degrees in organizational systems, psychology, medicine, and counseling, all inflexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education.
Saybrook University is proud to be a diverse, inclusive community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities.
- more information, visit www.saybrook.edu
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.