Business & Tech Apps Analyst
Posting DetailsPosition Number999205Functional TitleBusiness & Tech Apps AnalystPosition TypeAdministration - StaffPosition EclassEP - EHRA 12 mo leave earningUniversity Information
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit
UNCG’s Division of Enrollment Management consists of Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid, Enrollment Communications, and the University Registrar. The Vice Chancellor provides leadership and supervision for these four units (each headed by a Director) and also provides strategic enrollment management for the institution as a whole, regularly interacting with and coordinating the enrollment initiatives of the Graduate School, International Programs Center, Lloyd International Honors College, and the Division of Online Learning. Overseeing the institution’s enrollment management plan, the Vice Chancellor will work closely with the Provost, Director of Institutional Research, Division of Business Affairs, and others to establish a long-range enrollment planning and annual targets.Position Summary
As the Principal Analyst to the Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management, this position assumes the leadership and full functional responsibility for the planning, development, implementation, and management of the data-related needs of the division. In this role, the analyst applies advanced knowledge and understanding of organizational objectives and goals to research, gather, analyze, and summarize complex data in relation to enrollment management and student success. The role will serve in an analyst, researcher, and reporting role for work related to enrollment management, graduate admissions and student success. As a research analyst, the employee will conduct qualitative/quantitative analyses to support the decision-making of leadership in Enrollment Management, Undergraduate Student Success and Graduate Admissions. The incumbent will develop user-facing data tools, facilitate information access, provide in-depth analyses, and produce executive summaries to inform leadership of trends in student academic performance, real-time enrollment metrics (admissions funnel, registration, enrollment holds, course loads, etc.), and other topics of interest. The Analyst will act in a consultative role on high-profile and high-impact policy actions, program reviews, and grant applications. The analyst will design, develop, and execute quantitative and predictive analysis and solutions that provide actionable insights required for decision-making.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree with in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, math, or Engineering or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution; or Bachelor’s degree and some computer coursework from an appropriately accredited institution and one (1) year of experience in business application consulting or development; or Associate’s degree in Computer Programming and one (1) year of experience in application consulting or development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Additional Required Certifications, Licensures, and CertificatesPreferred Qualifications
Possess advanced level statistical knowledge (SPSS/SAS/STATA software, methodologies, and theory) and significant experience in SQL and data access tools/language and be skilled in data visualization tools (Web Focus, Argos, Power BI, Tableau). Comprehensive knowledge of statistics including inferential statistics, multivariate regression, predictive analytics, and graphical display. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to independently research and conduct applied statistical analyses, develop and present solutions to complex and multi-faceted problems. Advanced ability to present complex findings and recommendations in a clear and concise manner verbally and written. Higher Education experience (specifically within Enrollment Management) and experience with Ellucian Banner is ideal.Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.Recruitment RangeCommensurate with experienceOrg #-DepartmentEnrollment Management - 10207Job Open Date10/15/2020For Best Consideration DateJob Close Date10/29/2020Open Until FilledNoFTE1.000Type of AppointmentPermanentIf time-limited, please specify end date for appointment.Number of Months per Year12FLSAExemptKey Responsibilities ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Percentage Of Time50%Key Responsibility
Technical LeadershipEssential Tasks
- Works with Enrollment Management, Student Success and the Graduate School administration to implement solutions to support enrollment and retention by providing leadership for tasks, projects, and implementation of data management projects impacting these key areas.
- Design and monitor real-time dashboards and reports, in collaboration with relevant campus partners, to provide updated enrollment and academic performance information to institutional leadership. Examples include but are not limited to: date-adjusted registration comparisons, date-adjusted student credit hour enrollment, detailed, near real-time cohort retention and graduation tracking, drop, add, fail transactions, and registration holds using data pulled from a variety of databases, such as Banner, AdmissionPros, and Slate.
- Provides some technology support for Starfish, Degree Works, and other retention management software maintained within the division. Designs and implements data queries using SQL, Veera, Tableau, MS Access, and other programs.
- Create, monitor and analyzes reports to meet strategic, operational, and enrollment goals.
- Designs, tests, implements, and/or maintains complex database queries, views, stored procedures and reports for Enrollment Management.
- Troubleshoots data issues in the production and development environments in Banner.
- Interacts with university database administrators for database support and maintenance on various projects.
- Works with databases and templates to build reporting and analysis scripted summaries related to student data.
- Independently applies technical judgment to work assignments to achieve desired outcomes.
- Evaluate and/or modify assessment-related questionnaires and other data-collection instruments.
- Gather and analyze quantitative and qualitative data.
- Interpret data findings in collaboration with Division of Student Success and Enrollment Management leadership and staff, including triangulating results with other data, making recommendations for actions, and applying results to improving programs/efforts and overall unit effectiveness.
Project ManagementEssential Tasks
- Designs and/or uses information systems that organize, store and retrieve data for analysis to answer ad hoc information requests and longitudinal tracking of Enrollment Management data.
- Conduct in-depth research studies of program outcomes, student learning and development, student performance, and retention/graduation. Specific examples include First Year Experience courses and the Academic Success Coaching Program, as well as the effects of existing and new interventions aimed at improving outcomes for students. Understands business processes and procedures and makes improvements with technology resources.
- Design, develop, and operationalize methods to ensure effectiveness of programs.
- Develops, implements and maintains policies and procedures to ensure integrity, security and confidentiality of student records.
- Acts as team lead for various complex reporting projects.
- Communicates effectively with all customers.
- Extracts and analyzes data from various sources in Enrollment Management.
- Works independently and manages multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Collaborates with other university staff to identify and recommend new strategies.
- Provide consultation on assessment projects in Undergraduate Student Success. A partial list of these programs includes TRiO Student Support Services, McNair, SOAR, the Academic Achievement Center, Academic Success Coaching, NAV1GATE, and the academic effects of Admissions’ recruiting efforts. Analyzes application, enrollment, graduation, and survey data to discover trends.
- Reviews and analyzes data required for report submission.
- Provides specialized ad hoc reports for the Associate Provost for Enrollment Management and Enrollment Management departments.
- Provides collaborative and innovative problem solving using excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship?
- What experience do you have with reporting tools? List the reporting tools for which you have experience and your proficiency level with each.
(Open Ended Question)