Fire Safety Specialist
Job Title: Fire Safety Specialist
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 221056
Job Summary Provide comprehensive fire and life safety services to the Institute community. Verify Institute facilities are compliant with State of Georgia Rules and Regulations for the State Minimum Fire Safety Standards. This position will interact on a regular basis with: Environmental Health and Safety staff, Campus Engineers, Architects and Project, Facility, and Building Managers
- Design and conduct training, and perform fire evacuation drills, perform fire inspections, all for maintaining and/or improving fire and life safety compliance.
- Perform annual fire inspection as assigned and prepare and distribute written inspection reports in a timely manner.
- Advise departments and provide interpretations/recommendations on state regulations and code compliance.
- Act as the liaison with the State Fire Marshal's Office and Local Fire Departments statewide providing emergency pre-planning information for the fire suppression response team and other fire safety related activities as needed.
- Inspect Institute structures and equipment ensuring compliance with relevant state and national codes and/or standards.
- Accompany State Fire Marshal officials during inspections of existing facilities and new construction and consult with Institute departments to resolve structural and non-structural code violations noted.
- Review construction documents and other applicable plans and advise based on relevant code/standard compliance.
- Provide guidance to design engineers and architects on fire and life safety codes, fire alarm and fire suppression systems.
- Issue special fire and life safety permits in accordance with the international code council and State of Georgia Fire Safety Standard. Provide event support as assigned.
- Prepare and maintain comprehensive building files containing all pertinent fire and life safety documents for each facility at Georgia Tech. Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree in Fire Protection, Safety Science, Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
Other Required Qualifications
Ability to work outside of typical business hours as needed, potentially including but not limited to evenings, weekends, and holidays
Two to three years of job related experience
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) InstructorCertified Fire InspectorCertified Fire Plans ExaminerCertified Fire InvestigatorCertified Fire InstructorAHA BLS InstructorKnowledge, Skills, & Abilities SKILLS
This job requires the ability to review construction plans and documents, develop and implement fire safety policies/procedures/guideline, conduct investigations related to fire safety and research/recommend safety equipment.Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech provides equal opportunity to all faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including applicants for admission and/or employment, contractors, volunteers, and participants in institutional programs, activities, or services. Georgia Tech complies with all applicable laws and regulations governing equal opportunity in the workplace and in educational activities. Georgia Tech prohibits discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status in its programs, activities, employment, and admissions. This prohibition applies to faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including affiliates, invitees, and guests.