Biosafety Specialist 2
Biosafety Specialist 2🔍Dean of Research, Stanford, California, United States📁Health and Safety📅Oct 16, 2020 Post Date📅87560 Requisition #Biosafety Specialist
Job Code: 4382
- Conduct biosafety-specific assessments of laboratories working at the BS-2 and BS-3 levels including both rDNA and infectious agents (over 1,000 protocols reviewed each year with more than 300 BSL-2 laboratories).
- Conduct reviews of proposed human clinical trials using rDNA and/or infectious agents. Work with the Stanford University IRBs and other institutional compliance panels to ensure comprehensive reviews are done in harmony.
- Recommend and implement specific ABSL-2 training as needed; coordinate programmatic updates with needs of research personnel
- Participate in review and analysis of exposure and incident reports related to Biosafety, including Medical Surveillance involvement.
- Provide Biosafety evaluation and input for reproductive evaluations, mold issues, communicable diseases and others as needed.
- Review protocols requiring EH&S approval for submission to DoD, private research foundations or others as needed.
- As needed, function as voting member and serve in the administrative function for Administrative Panel on Biosafety (APB)
- Coordinate approvals among APB and APLAC, SCRO and IRB.
- Serve as technical expert related to Biosafety issues for Occupational Health – included are potential work with infectious agents, accidental exposures to infectious agents, rDNA, blood borne pathogens. Work with Stanford University Occupational Health Center staff to address exposure risks.
- Bachelor’s degree in arts/science in related allied/scientific field and three years progressively responsible experience in occupational safety and health, emergency response/management, environmental science, and/or allied/scientific field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Ability to analyze and implement changes and new regulatory or guidance documents from local, state and federal agencies (e.g. NIH, CDC, OSHA, FDA, WHO, FAA). Communicate with the agencies (regarding regulatory or guidance document interpretation and implementation related to APB oversight.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and project management abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to encourage laboratory workers to bring up issues and questions without feeling vulnerable or ignorant, and the ability to maintain a positive and helpful attitude with a customer-centered focus with a wide variety of individuals.
- Ability to take initiative and to think critically and creatively about both individual situations and elements of the biosafety program.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially using technical concepts.
- Ability to maintain a valid non-commercial California Driver’s license.
- Advanced degree in a related scientific discipline, PhD preferred
- 5+ years of hands-on research in a molecular/cellular biology laboratory
- Background in Microbiology and/or Virology
- Experience with animal research
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4382
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 87560