Posting DetailsPosting NumberStu00517Site LocationSwainsboroFull or Part TimeStudentRegular or Temporary EmploymentStudentType of Student PositionStudent AssistantNumber of MonthsSpring Semester 2021Work Schedule
Flexible schedule of up to 19 hours per week. Includes days, evenings, and weekends.Position End Date (if temporary)Position TitleResident AssistantPosition Number 10049320Job Description Summary
The Resident Assistant (RA) position is a student leadership/hourly employment position that serves to develop individual relationships with residents, provides engagement opportunities for residential students, and maintains a safe and welcoming environment in the residence halls. RAs focus on helping residents in a number of areas included in the life skills based student engagement model. This model includes initiatives such as programs that address the developmental needs of college students, maintaining purposeful and meaningful connections with residents during their stay in the halls, and helping residents overcome obstacles to personal and academic success that most impact their ability to retain and persist. An RA is also a relationship builder who helps his/her residents connect to one another, to the campus, and to the Swainsboro community. RAs additionally assist in an administrative capacity by covering desk hours within the residence halls, assisting with lock outs, answering phones, logging maintenance work orders, registering visiting guests, and reporting issues of safety and security concern.Major Duties
Routine duties will include:
- Maintaining regular one to one contact with residents in assigned area.
- Creating and implementing residential activities that help residents engage with one another and their community.
- Explaining and enforcing housing and general campus policies.
- Conducting health and safety inspections of student residence hall rooms and apartments.
- Participating in large scale departmental or campus programs and events as deemed necessary by the Department of Housing and Residence Life.
- Performing other administrative duties as assigned in support of the overall functioning of the residential facilities.
- Performing desk hours in area.
- Performing duty rounds in area.
- Conducting housing tours as needed by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
Training will be provided, but applicants who have held leadership positions in the past are strongly encouraged to apply. RAs are required to live in on-campus housing. Basic computer skills are needed, including the ability to answer emails and modify basic excel spreadsheets. The ability to provide good customer service is essential.Supervisory Controls
Assistant Director of Housing/Residence Life Coordinator supervises and reviews work through observation for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.Guidelines
Guidelines include BOR and EGSC policies and procedures. Student must maintain confidentiality agreement and provide adequate and accurate information or assistance.Complexity/Scope of Work
The work consists of related clerical and customer service duties. Frequent interruptions contribute to the complexity of the position. The purpose of this position is to provide support for the college’s Office of Housing and Residence Life. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of office operations.Contacts
Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, students, vendors, and members of the general public.
Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, or to resolve problems.Physical Demands
The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects. The work is typically performed in an office. Students must be able to traverse stairs.Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- The student must be registered for at least 12 credit hours with EGSC at the start of the employment term.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
- Resident Assistants must live in on-campus housing.
- Resident Assistants must have a minimum of 1 semester of living on campus prior to employment term.
- Student must be willing and able to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends.
- Students must not have a record of serious conduct infractions. A records check with the Office of Student Conduct will be conducted prior to employment offer being extended.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate through the application and interview process the following characteristics:
- Evidence of a strong work ethic.
- Genuine interest in supporting and establishing rapport with residential students.
- Team mentality and the ability to be flexible and adaptable as part of that team.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills (verbal and written).
- Organization and time management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to understand and support diverse populations.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 478-289-2035. Deaf and Hard of Hearing callers may access our campus phone numbers by utilizing your state relay service (such as the Georgia Relay Service) or by utilizing Video Remote Services. East Georgia State College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Tobacco-free Institution, Federal law requires ID and employment eligibility verification prior to employment. Georgia is an Open Records state. East Georgia State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate degrees and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of East Georgia State College.Complete College GeorgiaOpen Date10/16/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesBackground CheckAdditional Information
NAApplicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).