Program Director, Borland Health Sciences Library (65661)
Oct 15, 2020
Nov 30, 2020
The Borland Health Sciences Library Program Director position is open at a dynamic and exciting time with new and heightened interest in building research capacity and educational programs at the Health Science Center Jacksonville campus. Planned renovations of the Borland Library will center it as a campus hub for learning and knowledge sharing. This year-round (12 month) tenure track library faculty position will lead the operations of the Borland Library into this new environment and situate the library to meet the continually evolving information needs of the educational, research and clinical missions of UF Health Jacksonville.
We seek an innovative thinker and strong leader with personnel and project management experience. Collaboration and communication skills are key to success in this position. Experience with, and a passion for making health information accessible to a broad range of users as well as a track record of relationship building skills are required. We are seeking candidates who bring culturally-rich lived experiences to seek out and work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and perspectives. The Program Director is also expected to pursue professional development opportunities, research, publication, and professional service activities in order to meet library-wide criteria for tenure and promotion.
- Works with the Associate Dean and Fackler Director, Health Science Center Libraries to define goals; establish vision, objectives, and priorities; and develop, implement, and evaluate plans, policies, and procedures that support the library’s services and programs.
- Manages and provides leadership for Borland Library public services, collections, some technical service functions, and communicates with appropriate faculty and staff of the campus.
- Directly supervises, manages, and mentors team of one librarian and two library staff.
- Actively engages in diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and creates a welcoming environment for all.
- Allocates resources and responsibilities; manages budget and facilities; and prepares statistical and other reports as needed.
- Collaborates with HSCL in meeting specific needs for the Borland Library services and collections while aligning with Strategic Directions in building and encouraging partnership and collaborations between libraries for educational, outreach, research support, and clinical efforts.
- Actively seeks opportunities and implements plans for community engagement with the broader Jacksonville health care community and health care consumers.
- Effectively communicates with Borland Library clientele and Health Science Center Jacksonville leadership about relevant library matters.
- Responsible for clinical and health-related reference and instruction programs and participates in them by providing expert searching, including systematic reviews; reference and consultation services; training individuals and groups in using information resources for evidence-based clinical practice, research, and education; and creating handouts and web pages that support direct assistance as well as independent learning.
- Facilitates the integration of information resources to support diagnosis and treatment decisions through participation in a variety of clinical settings at UF Health Jacksonville’s teaching hospitals and clinics, which may include rounding and morning report.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies and demonstrates skill in using them to enhance library services.
- Assists with development activities of the library and academic departments to enhance services and resources through gifts and grants.
- Participates in planning, policy formation, and departmental decision-making relating to services, collections, and new technologies.
- Performs scholarly research and provides service at the institutional and professional levels as related to assignment and in accordance with tenure and promotion criteria
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited (or foreign equivalent) program, or other relevant advanced degree
- Appointment at the Assistant level requires a minimum of 3 years post-MLS professional library experience. Appointment at the Associate level requires a minimum of 8 years post-MLS professional library experience
- One year of demonstrated successful supervisory and team building experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of clinical information resources, evidence-based health care practice principles and methods, and expert searching skills in medical and health databases, including MEDLINE
- Successful experience creating vision and leading projects
- Record of including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender, sexual orientation, and perspectives in research, teaching, service and other work
- Initiative, flexibility, and the ability to adapt to a complex, rapidly changing academic environment
- Excellent planning, analytical, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively lead a team
- Experience serving a health science client population
- Ability to meet or exceed customer service needs and expectations and provide excellent service in a direct or indirect manner
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with faculty, students, administrators, and the general public
- Ability to utilize existing resources and learning to achieve or exceed desired outcomes of current and future organizational goals/needs
- Strong potential for meeting the requirements of tenure and promotion (outlined at http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/pers/cdh)
- Administrative or supervisory experience in a library
- Membership in Academy of Health Information Professionals, or eligibility for membership
- Experience or expertise in the development and delivery of instruction/training/teaching
- Experience meeting the information needs of clinicians
To apply, submit
- a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position
- a written statement regarding “How would you incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion in your role as a health sciences library leader and manager.” (up to 500 words)
- your current resume or CV
- a list of three references including their contact information (telephone number and email address)
Apply by November 30, 2020 (applications will be reviewed beginning November 16). Submit all application materials through the Jobs at UF online application system. Failure to submit the required documents may result in the application not being considered. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact Bonnie Smith, George A. Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at [email protected].
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript is not considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.