Part-Time Research Project Assistant
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Part-Time Research Project Assistant
Job ID 3963
Location Lincoln Park Campus
Full/Part Time Part-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
This position will work in-person on the Lincoln Park Campus in a safe, well-controlled scientific lab.
Part-time Research Assistant will report to the Principal Investigator (PI). The part-time Research Assistant will help the PI with laboratory and administrative tasks relating to a NIH-funded research project. This position is a stable, flexible, part-time position funded for 20 hours per week. The schedule for this position will stay consistent.
Please note, this position is funded by a grant. If the grant terminates for any reason, if grant funding is lost or reduced for any reason, or if the budgetary needs for fulfilling the grant requirements change, your employment with the university will be immediately discontinued.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Conduct independent laboratory investigation(s) related to the aims of the grant: design experiments, collect data, perform analysis, and produce figures, charts and graphs for publication and presentation.
- Manage a colony of laboratory zebrafish: cross, rear and collect specimens; keep breeding records and pedigree; maintain a 100-gallon aquatic housing system.
- Order supplies, manage inventory, and maintain a clean and safe lab environment.
- Install, calibrate and maintain scientific equipment, including centrifuges, microscopes, digital cameras, computers and peripherals.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the PI and other project staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- College degree or higher-level course work in biological sciences or a related field.
- Candidates should have a strong interest in gaining experience towards a scientific technical position, master's program or a PhD.
- Research experience in molecular biology and/or work with vertebrate animals in a laboratory setting.
- The successful candidate will act as budget manager delegate with spending authority on 3-year NIH grant budget ($150,000/year).
- Responsibility is to review monthly financial reports and manage the grant budget in consultation with the PI.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Good keyboard skills.
- Good general computer knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Can communicate effectively with many people in our organization including undergraduates, faculty, office staff, maintenance staff, IT professionals, and sales representatives.
- Good manual dexterity; can perform two-handed manipulations with small tools under a microscope.
- Excellent visual acuity; can perform digital photography, image analysis and measurement.
- Can stand at a laboratory bench for extended periods of time.
- Can periodically stand on a stepstool and/or climb a ladder to store objects overhead.
- Can periodically carry a 3-gallon bucket of water (~25 lbs) 20 feet.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: