Information Security Engineer
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-15
The Information Security Engineering team at UVA is responsible for developing scalable, resilient, and highly available solutions to collect and search against massive datasets in a complex, University-wide environment. The Information Security team is also responsible for interfacing directly with data producers at UVA to ensure that high quality and comprehensive data is collected in our SIEM in support of our organization’s Information Security responsibilities and goals.
Reporting to the Information Security Engineering Director, the Security Engineer in this role will be working directly with the data pipelines, storage platforms, and 3rd-party analytics tools that support our Information Security processes. We are looking for an individual with excellent communication skills (both verbal and written,) as well the demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations with calm effectiveness. He/she will be responsible for a wide variety of highly technical work including, but not limited to:
- Designing, implementing, and automating the deployment of distributed systems for collecting and processing log events from multiple sources.
- Working with external teams to establish new incoming data streams.
- Normalizing new incoming data utilizing the Common Information Model.
- Implementing platform-specific data parsing rules to normalize events being ingested by InfoSec tools.
- Maintaining relationships with data producers to ensure continuity of data during enterprise/infrastructure changes.
- Creating and enforcing logging standards.
- Developing infrastructure to support security and operational monitoring and alerting to various teams and lines of business using third-party orchestration software.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting operational or data issues in the data pipelines.
- Designing and implementing architectural plans to address future data storage, data reporting, and data analysis needs.
- Building automations, dashboards, correlations, key performance indicators, and other various SEIM knowledge objects to empower Security Operations by improving the quality of their threat detection capabilities.
- Completing cross-coverage training with other engineers on the team and providing support for additional InfoSec Engineering assigned tasks as needed.
- Linux Foundation Certified Sys Admin/Engineer
- RHEL certification
- GIAC certifications (GMON, GPYC, GCDA, GCIH)
- Information security experience
- High school diploma and 7 years of experience with the following:
- Experience working in Linux and Windows-based environments, including administration and engineering of solutions running on both platforms.
- Demonstrated success leveraging automation.
- Experience working with high-performance storage and logging systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following - Ansible, Python, Syslog-NG, Kafka, Vector, Humio or Splunk.
This position is currently operating remotely, however, the selected candidate will be expected to be on-site in Charlottesville, VA in the future.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $89,000 - $120,000 depending upon experience. This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions regarding the position or application process, please reach out to Lauren Jackson, IT Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply through Workday, and search for “R0019143”. Complete an application online and attach a CV/resume. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching “Find Jobs” in the top search bar.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.