Instructional Support Specialist - Contract/Corporate Training (Grant Funded)
The OpportunityYou: You enjoy working in a busy hub of activity, and you’re looking for a role that encompasses variety, a fast pace and the chance to help students every day.
Your mission: Support faculty in the delivery of specialized education courses.
A typical day: With such a broad range of responsibility, a “typical” day doesn’t exist. You’ll be doing a bit of everything, from managing databases to preparing student tests; from screening visitors to assisting with the help desk; and from proctoring exams to ordering supplies.
Next steps: If this sounds like the role you’ve been looking for, we’ve been looking for you! Your next step should be to apply for this position today.
SUMMARY Responsible for supporting of faculty delivery of specialized distance education courses. Serve as a liaison to ensure the efficient overall administration and delivery of the unique courses and related services to both faculty and students. This is a security-sensitive position related to student records and confidentiality. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage student databases. Create, maintain, and edit databases for testing and promotional and/or course related mailings.
- Assist full-time and adjunct faculty for online testing.
- Prepare, edit and distribute student tests. Schedule instructors for test proctoring. Publish online exams and schedule proctored or practice/self-assessment. Proctor exams as necessary. Grade and record lab skills, quizzes, and exams.
- Process and distribute instructional newsletters and grade notifications.
- Process videotape distribution and returns. Distribute and collects SEOI forms.
- Duplicate instructional materials.
- Screen visitors. Answer phone calls. Sort and distribute faxes and mail.
- Assist with help desk. Manage student queries. Refer and schedule students for regular and make-up orientations.
- Operate various instructional office equipment.
- Handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
- File all correspondence. Maintain and protect applicant files, student testing and grading files. Purge and archive files as necessary. Maintain personal timesheets.
- Assist with asset management and organizational stewardship. Maintain program inventory and ordering of supplies. As necessary, assist and guide students in all lab activities including equipment set-up and usage, restocking of supplies and preparation of laboratory practice areas and activities.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills such as word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to maintain laboratory equipment
- Ability to adapt to lab policy and procedural changes.
- Good written, oral communication and organizational skills
- Excellent proofreading practices and skills
- Generate statistical analyses reports of student performance
- Basic understanding of test performance indices
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with a diverse student population
- Good Customer service skills over the phone
- Good technology troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Basic Knowledge of CANVAS learning Management system
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft is a plus
- Ability to work in different shifts
The Team Play a central role at HCC as you keep our everyday operations running like clockwork. You’ll get the chance to make things happen and work closely with inspiring leaders across different parts of the institution. Whether your role is supportive, administrative, financial or something else, you’ll be part of a dynamic team that not only provides HCC students with cutting-edge academic and career tools, it also takes care of its people.
LocationHouston is a city with limitless possibilities:• Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City’s 55. • 145 languages are spoken here.• Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.• Houston is a major-league sports town, and don’t forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.• The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round. • World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation’s top institutions.• With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston’s cultural scene. • Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you’re ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran’s status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional EquityPO Box 667517 Houston TX, 77266713 718.8271 or [email protected] HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.