Cafe Lead - Organic Cafe - 502196
Cafe Lead - Organic Cafe - 502196
Café Lead is a flexible member of the café team and ensures all meals are produced in a timely manner according to specified recipes. Café Lead assists the Manager in the planning and execution of daily food production, and directs, assigns work to, and supervises the kitchen production staff in the absence of the manager.
In the assigned unit, this position may perform some or all of the following:
- Cooks and prepares food as directed according to established recipes, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions. Adheres to forecasted amounts as indicated on production sheets, employs quality food preparation and presentation techniques, and follows established food safety practices.
- Accurately completes daily production records.
- Maintains food cost by utilizing best practices in food production.
Monitors and records temperatures of foods stored in refrigeration, in hot holding boxes, and on the serving line to ensure safe temperatures.
- Takes food samples for quality assurance.
- Incorporates unused foods safely into future food production, and actively manages waste.
- Collaborates with the Manager to assign daily staff work assignments and break times.
- Operates and manages the point-of-sale system, following established cash handling procedures maintaining PCI compliance and confidentiality.
- Maintains organization and cleanliness of work areas and storerooms: cleans; delegates daily cleaning duties to staff; maintains cleaning logs.
- In the absence of the Manager, manages all aspects of daily café operations, including food production, customer service, training, safety, quality control, financial management, product ordering and inventories.
- Develops working knowledge of all café duties; fills in for any position as necessary.
- Opens or closes unit daily.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Ensures all production meets established standards.
- Ensures all safety procedures are implemented and followed.
- Assists the Manager with supervision and training of department staff.
- Maintains a safe work environment and reports and/or rectifies safety hazards.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT: This position requires long periods of standing and walking, and the ability to lift 50 lbs., in conditions that are often, hot, humid, or cold. Must be able to safely use and operate typical kitchen tools and equipment. Must be able to work outdoors in varying weather conditions, on occasion.
- Intermediate knowledge of culinary techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of quantity food production principles and safe food handling practices.
- Basic knowledge of computers and the ability to learn software.
- Skilled in efficient and accurate operation of point-of-sale register systems.
- Skilled in using effective time management to accomplish tasks and solve problems.
- Skilled in reading and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and procedures.
- Ability to exercise flexibility and to work calmly and efficiently under pressure in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Ability to monitor and maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a part of a team.
- Must possess a current Virginia driver’s license with a driving record in good standing.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED.
- Associate degree in the culinary arts field preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ cooking/ cold food prep and cashiering experience, or culinary certification or degree.
- Safe food handler certification preferred, or certification obtained within one year of hire.
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Schedule to be determined; 8 hrs/day, 40 hrs/week
- This position is designated as essential personnel and, during inclement weather and emergency situations is required to be available to the University as needed.
Pay Grade 3 (Hiring Range $15.00 to $16.00 per hour)
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE