Posting InformationPosition TypePermanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?NoPosition TitleResearch Technician - JourneyWorking TitleResearch TechnicianPosition Number20037299Vacancy IDP012041Budgeted Hiring Range$35809 - $43767Pay Band Information
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade EquivalentGN05Full-time/Part-time Permanent/Time-LimitedFull-Time Time-LimitedIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointment3 yearsHours per week40Work Schedule
Monday- Friday; 8am- 5pmDepartment Name and NumberGlobl Hlth and Infect Disease-427801Date First Posted10/15/2020Closing Date10/21/2020Position LocationChapel Hill, NCPosition Posting CategoryResearch ProfessionalsDepartment Description
The Division of Infectious Diseases develops ongoing clinical, educational and research programs directed toward the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. Working in nine countries, throughout the state, and across campus, the Division’s goals include:
• Coordinating basic and applied research in infectious diseases and fostering collaboration among other investigators and researchers.
• Coordinating outreach activities with UNC-CH School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, and other Departments/Centers, as well as appropriate State of North Carolina agencies.
• Improving clinical care in infectious diseases, including activities related to management of HIV and other infectious diseases; activities related to emerging pathogens, international health, and clinical outreach.
• Infectious disease prevention activities, including a focus on vaccine development and vaccination practices
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description
This position supports research in a molecular epidemiology laboratory that is focused on malaria, syphilis, and other diseases of global health significance. This position will include laboratory and data analysis duties. Duties in the laboratory will include but are not limited to, conducting experiments, preparing sequencing libraries for multiple sequencing platforms using advanced target enrichment approaches, sample inventory management, laboratory operations, data analysis, and bioinformatic processing of raw and curated next-generation sequencing data. Because this position is heavily focused on advanced sequencing and target enrichment approaches, experience and familiarity with Illumina and Oxford Nanopore sequencing platforms, bioinformatic methods used for reference-guided and de novo assembly, and target enrichment approaches such as hybrid selection, amplicon-based enrichment, and Cas9-based enrichment are desired.Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Ability to perform varied tasks including challenging culture and molecular techniques.
Ability to store and access research samples, reagents, and supplies.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Previous molecular laboratory experience, ideally involving infectious diseases such as malaria and syphilis.
• Experience with infectious disease assay development.
• Experience and comfort with Unix, python, and R coding languages.
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess the competencies necessary to perform the Research Technician position?
- * Do you have experience in a molecular biology research laboratory?
- * Do you have experience with immunological assays?