Upward Bound Coordinator III
Upward Bound Coordinator III
Job no: 493578
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Categories: Office Support
Role: Upward Bound Coordinator III
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Monday - Thursday 3:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Rate of Pay:
Implement academic programs for Upward Bound participants; coordinate selection and monitor the participants’ academic progress. Advise and counsel participants regarding academic requirements, standings and financial aid.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university; with two years experience in education and/or human services or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
2. Skill in developing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with internal and external customers
3. Working skill in written and verbal communication
4. Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software, and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Masters degree.
2. Good knowledge of community college counseling best practices.
- Coordinate educational support services (academic, financial, personal, social / cultural, and career related assistance) for eligible participants, ensuring participants receive all necessary information to succeed, while maintaining compliance with regulations of funding agencies and the U.S. Department of Education.
- Provide advice and counsel for Upward Bound participants regarding program academic requirements, standings, financial aid, etc.
- Assist with in-service activities and assessments for high need students, e.g., arrange for tutoring assistance and computer lab time/training.
- Coordinate personal growth opportunities (cultural, social, and personal) for students, and develop participants’ IEPs.
- Provide assistance to Upward Bound management in evaluation of activities.
- Assist management with writing and submission of grant proposals.
- Collect and maintain accurate participant data; run routine reports management.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certification
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide back-up and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality;
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Light (up to 25 lbs occasionally or 10 lbs frequently)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The position was posted on 10/15/20. Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 10/23/2020 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: October 15, 2020 Central Daylight Time