PARALEGAL - Duke University Health System (DUHS)
This position will provide administrative and paralegal support to the Associate General Counsel in the Office of Counsel in the assessment, management and defense of professional medical liability significant incidents, claims and litigation, and performing other tasks under the supervision of the Associate General Counsel. This is a DUHS position that will report to the Administrative Manager in the Office of Counsel.
- This position, which requires broad general knowledge in the legal field, will support the Associate General Counsel in the Office of Counsel who represent Duke University, Duke University Health System, the Private Diagnostic Clinic, their providers and insurance company (Durham Casualty Company) in the assessment, management and defense of professional medical liability significant incidents, claims and litigation. Experience in the field of Professional Medical Liability Litigation is preferred.
- Use expert judgment and knowledge to manage and prioritize mail, calendar appointments and other administrative duties required to support the Associate General Counsel.
- This individual will be a steward of Duke University, Duke University Health System, the Private Diagnostic Clinic and Durham Casualty Company pre-litigation and litigation data and materials, a responsibility which requires confidentiality, accuracy, efficiency and precise attention to detail.
- Monitor and track individual cases and progress, maintain internal status updates relating to cases, accurately identify and input data into electronic filing system, collect documentation for the physical file, open and close electronic and hard copy files, and compose, edit and send formal correspondence as appropriate.
- Serve as a liaison between the Office of Counsel, Duke University, Duke University Health System, the Private Diagnostic Clinic, healthcare providers, senior leaders and external counsel. Thus, familiarity with the internal organization and workings is preferred.
- Coordinate and complete special projects independently or in collaboration with other groups as assigned.
- Prepare internal case related financial and operational reports and analyses utilizing data from appropriate sources to summarize findings and to reflect case progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations and conclusions.
- Conduct research, develop content and create effective and advanced presentation materials. Independently prepare complex documentation, reports, charts, graphs and spreadsheets at designated intervals and as requested.
- Responsible for key aspects of file handling, such as engagement letters, preservation notices and assistance with certain investigation and discovery activities as assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate and confidential records.
- May be assigned other duties incidental to the nature of the position or related to the functions of Durham Casualty Company.
Education: Associates degree in paralegal studies and/or equivalent combination of relevant education and professional experience. Requires general knowledge in the legal and medical fields.
Experience: Two years working in related field or equivalent combination of relevant education and professional experience.
Degrees, Licensure and Certifications: Paralegal Certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient use of computers; requires solid working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Ability to analyze data and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to create verbal and written reports. Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to use professional judgment and decision-making skills to determine appropriate actions related to the management of the cases.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously and to meet demanding deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and decision-making skills to respond to high-pressure situations.
- Demonstrated ability and temperament to work with confidential and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills to effectively represent the Office of Counsel, Duke University, Duke University Health System, the Private Diagnostic Clinic and Durham Casualty Company to outside parties.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.