Dean, Langdale College of Business Administration
Valdosta State University (VSU) seeks an accomplished, energetic, and visionary individual to serve as the Dean of the Langdale College of Business Administration. Reporting directly to the Provost, the dean oversees four departments offering a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The College’s programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) placing the Langdale College among the top 5% of business colleges worldwide. Preferred appointment date is July 1, 2021.
Valdosta State University is proud to have a highly diverse student body, and we are seeking to recruit and retain outstanding candidates who exhibit a clear commitment to diversity and inclusion and who will enhance the diversity of our faculty and staff.
Role of the Dean:
The Dean of the College of Business Administration, in collaboration with department heads, faculty, staff, students, and leadership across the university, is responsible for the following:
- Providing leadership and vision for the Langdale College of Business Administration;
- Promoting a rigorous, research-based curriculum that incorporates innovative teaching practices;
- Working collaboratively across the university and community to implement and nurture distinctive programs in a variety of areas;
- Collaborating with faculty and department heads on program development, recruitment, and retention initiatives;
- Collaborating with other deans and the Office of the Provost to advance the university’s academic priorities and the University’s Strategic Plan;
- Recruiting outstanding faculty who are actively engaged teachers and scholars, using theory, research, and collaboration to enhance their work in a global, diverse, and technological society;
- Collaboratively developing, refining, and implementing appropriate policies within the college;
- Assuring that the college’s strategic objectives are met through robust assessment practices;
- Fostering a culture of reflective, evidence-based practice and inquiry within a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff;
- Maintaining accreditations with regional and national organizations;
- Providing leadership in the evaluation and professional development of department heads, faculty, and other personnel;
- Developing the college’s budget and providing oversight for effective resource management;
- Assisting with fundraising and alumni activities;
- Ensuring that all programs in the college are properly administered and managed;
- Fostering a culture of transparent, clear and consistent communication with faculty and staff in the college, as well as with university and community partners; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Valdosta State University is a comprehensive university within the University System of Georgia with a student enrollment of approximately 12,500 (81% Undergraduate, 19% Graduate). More than 400 full-time faculty members teach courses at all levels (associate through doctoral) to students in over 100 majors in six colleges. Twenty-nine percent (29%) of undergraduate students enjoy on-campus living, while 40% of graduate students participate in online programs. Consisting of two campuses and 178 acres, VSU provides a unique atmosphere, a broad range of student activities, athletics, and cultural outreach to our community. VSU is located in the city of Valdosta, GA, the cultural and commercial hub of South Georgia. For additional information about VSU, visit https://www.valdosta.edu.
Langdale College of Business Administration Organization and Staffing:
The Dean of the College of Business Administration leads a college with four academic departments: Accounting; Management and Healthcare Administration; Marketing and International Business; and Economics and Finance. The College also houses the Small Business Development Center and the Center for Business and Economic Research.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited university in a discipline represented within the college;
- A record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment at the rank of full professor with tenure;
- A strong record of progressively responsible and relevant university leadership experience, with a minimum of three years of experience at the department head level or above;
- An awareness of current trends in higher education and a commitment to innovation in teaching and learning;
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Significant and successful experience in faculty evaluation and professional development and in managing enrollment and complex budgets;
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion;
- A commitment to shared governance and a consultative leadership style.
- Significant and successful experience with grant writing and extramural funding;
- Record of successful outreach to the community;
- Experience as a college dean.
Online application is required. Review of applications will begin November 16, 2020, with full consideration given to any applications that are completed by that date. For more information contact Dr. James LaPlant, Search Chair, via email [email protected].
Valdosta State University is an Equal Opportunity educational institution and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including, but not limited to minorities and individuals with disabilities. Valdosta State University has a non-discrimination policy that includes sex, race, color, sexual orientation, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability, and veteran status.