Instructor, English as a Second Language (ESL)
Posting DetailsJob TitleInstructor, English as a Second Language (ESL)Position TypeFacultyTenure InformationTenure TrackPosition Code2FLA28FTE1Pay Rate (or Annual Salary)$66,440 - $94,985/annualFLSAExemptJob LocationChabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545DepartmentLanguage ArtsJob Summary
The Chabot College Community
Chabot College is committed to educational equity in its academic programs and college services so that students may achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. Our equity work today builds upon a strong history: the Puente and Umoja programs were first created at Chabot College, and have since been replicated across the state. These programs have paved the way for a series of additional educational and student support programs intentionally focused on equity that thrive at Chabot College today. Chabot College is located in Hayward, California, the third most diverse city in the United States. We serve a highly diverse student population and are proud to be designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Information about the demographics of our campus community can be found here.
Serving our diverse community requires a culturally-responsive approach that recognizes the myriad strengths and assets that our students bring to the campus community. We do so by promoting a classroom and co-curricular learning environment that is inclusive, collaborative, engaging, and challenging, and where respect, dignity, and integrity are core values. We see students as producers of knowledge, not just consumers of knowledge. We work to reframe inequities as a problem of practice, and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and institutional responsibility.
Joining Our College Community
We seek equity-minded applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to an educational community.
We look for applicants who:
1. Value and intentionally promote diversity and consciousness of difference
2. Demonstrate cultural humility and an ongoing desire to improve cultural competence
3. Are dedicated to addressing issues of social justice
4. Accept their shared role and responsibility in addressing opportunity and achievement gaps experienced by students
5. Have experience and success in closing student equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices, or are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about implementing practices that achieve these goals
6. Actively seek to identify, disrupt, and remove institutional and/or systemic barriers that adversely impact historically marginalized communities
7. Empower the underrepresented and underserved
8. Foster students’ potential to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders
9. Believe that all people have the right to an education and work environment free from fear, harassment, or discrimination.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, English as a Second Language (ESL) for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
The ESL program at Chabot includes four levels of instruction focusing on academic language skills in reading, writing, grammar, and oral communication. The program also offers support courses with tutoring and lab components for students.Representative Duties
1. Ability to teach beginning through college level, grammar, reading, and composition;
2. Ability to motivate students from a variety of cultural, educational, socioeconomic and language backgrounds;
3. Commitment to working successfully as a team with colleagues and other instructors in curriculum development, assessment, and related issues in the ESL program;
4. Ability to work with colleagues in a variety of disciplines to support the academic and vocational needs of non-native speakers;
5. Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students including those with physical or learning disabilities;
6. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
7. Ability to adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles;
8. Willingness to participate in campus professional activities, which may include, but are not limited to, committee membership, staff development, collegial meetings and community outreach;
9. Flexibility to teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, distance learning, and/or off campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment;
10.Ability to interact successfully with others.Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis OR Bachelor’s in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND Master’s in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading, speech, or any foreign language OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 11:59:59 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before January 1, 2021 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.Minimum QualificationsDesirable Qualifications
1. Experience teaching all levels of ESL to diverse student populations;
2. Familiarity and experience in using computer-assisted language learning techniques;
3. Additional education or training in an area of specialization.Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure-track, beginning Spring 2021. Employment will begin on or about January 1, 2021.Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.Posting NumberF102POpen Date10/15/2020Close Date11/05/2020Open Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsNotification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Equivalency Statement
- Other Document