Dean of Schools
Job descriptionEmployment Status:Full time (29-40 Hrs) Closing:1/1/21 Proposed Salary Range:Commensurate with Experience Type of Employment:Staff Location:ASU-Jonesboro
Arkansas State University invites applications for the position of dean of the College of Nursing and Health Professions (AState.edu/CoNHP). The university seeks a dynamic, innovative and articulate leader who will continue the tradition of excellent educational programming. The college is home to 11 different academic areas and has the largest undergraduate enrollment and the second-largest graduate enrollment at A-State. The college provides an important service to Northeast Arkansas and the region by providing skilled healthcare professionals. The Arkansas State campus hosts the first osteopathic medical school in Arkansas with New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine at A-State. A-State is located in the city of Jonesboro which is the healthcare hub for a 23-county region and is home to two large, thriving healthcare systems.
The mission of the College of Nursing and Health Professions is to provide quality education to students, graduates and health care providers in a variety of health disciplines. To fulfill this mission we foster collaboration with our larger community in education, research and service. Recognizing its unique position in the lower Mississippi Delta region, the college provides educational programs that are designed to promote lifelong learning based on the expressed needs of its varied constituencies. The college assesses the attainment of this mission in terms of the contributions its graduates make to health and health care in the Delta region and beyond.
Academic areas in the college include nursing, clinical laboratory sciences, communication disorders, disaster preparedness and emergency management, medical imaging and radiation sciences, occupational therapy, physical therapy, social work, athletic training, and dietetics. There is also a newly approved program in occupational health and safety. Via these units, the college offers 10 certificates, six associate degrees, 19 undergraduate degrees, eight master degrees, and three doctoral degrees.
The dean of the college is expected to provide leadership in all areas within the college. The dean is a member of the A-State academic deans council and is expected to work with other deans to provide university leadership and enhance the experience for all students at the university.
Duties & Responsibilities:Responsibilities include:
- Lead strategic and long-range planning efforts; work with others to implement that vision;Support and encourage the professional development of faculty, staff and students;Serve as an advocate for the departments and programs comprising the college; Develop and support new undergraduate and graduate programs that serve the needs of the region and fulfill the mission of the college;Foster an atmosphere that values diversity, inclusion and equity in all endeavors within the college; Work with department chairs and faculty to recruit and retain faculty and staff who are strongly committed to excellence in their teaching, research and service;Support innovative and effective pedagogy to foster student learning and engagement;Support and encourage research and external grant activity;Cultivate and sustain strong community and healthcare partnerships;Promote interprofessional collaboration within the college and with the medical school;Provide sound fiscal leadership;Oversee accreditation procedures within the college; Exhibit the highest standards of personal and professional integrity;Accomplish all duties and responsibilities as assigned by the provost; andOther duties as assigned
• Established record of excellence in teaching
• Established record of excellence in scholarship
• Academic credentials appropriate to obtain an appointment as a tenured full professor in a department in the college
• Excellent communication skills
• Participation and leadership in shared governance
• Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
• Administrative experience at the level of department chair, associate dean or equivalent
• Experience with financial planning and budgets
• Ability to organize and lead groups of faculty
• Experience managing department chairs and/or program directors
• Significant fundraising experience
• Experience in graduate program administration
• Administrative experience in retention and recruitment efforts
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
Please note: all position postings close at 12:00 A.M. CST on the position closing date
Applications must be received online at https://jobs.AState.edu. Please review instructions and select the Dean of CoNHP position. Applicants should upload a cover letter, leadership statement, curriculum vitae and names and contact information for five professional references. Review of applications will begin on the closing date. Anticipated starting date is July 1, 2021.
For inquiries, contact the search committee chair: Lynn Boyd ([email protected])
Arkansas State University has a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all persons and strongly encourage applicants with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply to this position.
An earned Doctoral Degree in a discipline represented in the college