Mentor In Residence, Medical Technology
he University of Arizona's (UArizona) Tech Launch Arizona (TLA) is in search of a Mentor in Residence, Medical Technology, for their Venture Development Team. Tech Launch Arizona creates social and economic impact by bringing the inventions of the UArizona from the lab to the world. The TLA Venture Development team facilitates the creation of new ventures founded on these inventions. This position will report to the TLA Director of Venture Development. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, outgoing, and will have proven technology commercialization and startup experience in the life sciences area, preferably in the medical technology industry. We are looking for someone who has current industry expertise in medical technologies, including diagnostics, digital health, medical devices, or related and has exceptional follow through. The University of Arizona is a place of learning, invention and discovery. At Tech Launch Arizona, we help bring those discoveries to the world through commercial pathways. Our primary focus is on ensuring that technologies and innovations originating with UA researchers find meaningful application. Our work can broadly be understood across the three overlapping dimensions: Commercialization, Ecosystem Development, and Economic Development.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.Duties & ResponsibilitiesThis position is focused on life science with an emphasis on medical technologies, including diagnostics, digital health and medical devices.
· Work with licensing manager and UArizona inventors to assess new technologies for commercial opportunity, and to gauge startup interests
· Drive startup team formation: business leadership, advisors and professional services
· Coordinate startup team activities to develop appropriate business and funding strategies, governance, and prepare the team for license
· Track startup team activity, successes and challenges and review with co-Mentors for feedback
· Provide post-license business development and mentoring support where appropriate to advance company success
· Additional duties may be assigned
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
· Ability to work effectively in entrepreneurial and academic environments
· Strong communication, organizational, and project management skills
· Ability to motivate, mentor and lead diverse teams
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, peers, academics, and other professionals, including external agencies, with varied interests and perspectives Minimum Qualifications·Bachelor's Degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
·5 or more years of entrepreneurial leadership experience in a technology-based startup company, and current industry expertise in
medical technologies, including diagnostics, digital health, medical devices, or relatedPreferred Qualifications
- Scientific and business degrees related to the medical technology industry
- Understanding of industry regulatory and compliance concepts and requirements
- Experience working in a university commercialization setting, or related incubator or accelerator
- 15 or more years of entrepreneurial experience creating companies, developing early technology and building business teams
- Founder of a STEM startup with a successful exit
- Executive level experience in a medical technologies, medical devices, digital health, or related company
- Experience raising capital (angel, venture, grants) for startup ventures