Temporary Academic Advisor
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-15
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Advisor, Academic provides educational guidance and assistance for University students by planning schedules, recommending courses, and assisting with post-college plans. Moreover, the Advisor, Academic monitors students to track advancement and improve student retention and persistence to graduation.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Refers students to appropriate University units, learning resources, and personnel.
- Meets with students who are in academic difficulty.
- Helps students with course selection, entry into a concentration, registration, and review of records.
- Works with faculty to ensure that students stay on course with professional requirements.
- Participates in University events and recruitment activities.
- Recommends and implements new and improved programs and systems. Maintains advising and student records confidential.
- Designs assessment plans and professional development plans.
- Interprets applicable internal and external policies and procedures.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to handle difficult and stressful situations with professional composure.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
Department Specific Functions
The Academic Advisor will be required to provide advising and registration assistance for the Collegiate Studies unit in the Division of Continuing and International Education, particularly focusing on Non-Degree undergraduate and graduate students. In addition, the Academic Advisor will provide support services that include registration, student advising, campus relations, phone and email account monitoring, and other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and primary responsibilities of this job classification. Specific duties and tasks may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job. This a job profile description and not all duties may be assigned to a specific position in each individual department.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:TemporaryPay Grade:c103