Sr. Advisor, Financial Assistance
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-14
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Sr. Advisor, Financial Assistance assumes responsibility for advising students, parents, and other customers within regards to financial aid issues. This position reviews student files, correspondence, scholarship, and financial awards in accordance with University, state, and federal regulations.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Collects student information and exercises judgment on financial assistance matters. Serves as a liaison with other University departments and conducts financial presentations. Advises students, parents, and other customers in person and on the phone regarding financial aid information and amount awarded. Reviews student files and reports to monitor and analyze continued compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines. Contacts students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives. Evaluates and determines eligibility for loan financing options. Assists in the management of endowed and gift scholarships which involves coordination with various UM schools and colleges, institutional advancement, and individual donors. Inputs and updates data on the financial aid system. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
Department Specific FunctionsGeneral Description (Purpose and Function):
The Office of Financial Assistance provides services to approximately 800-1000 students attending the University of Miami School of Medicine to obtain their M.D. degrees. As this is a service-oriented office, there is heavy daily contact with students, other University units and faculty. It is essential that the employee in this position have good verbal and written skills. This person will also be coordinating the student loan and other aid processing in coordination with the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment on the Coral Gables campus. The management of correspondence is a significant responsibility of the position so attention to detail is essential. Use of professional judgment to solve financial aid problems is a fundamental aspect of the position which requires a track record of financial aid professional level experience. This position will report to the Director, Financial Assistance at the Medical Campus.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advises and counsels students, parents, and/or prospective students in person, via phone, and email regarding all areas related to the financial aid application and awarding process to include scholarships, loans, grants, employment and financial counseling.
- Completes a thorough review of financial aid applications to determine federal Title IV eligibility.
- Performs all technical and clerical tasks and procedures to process student’s award/certification status for financial assistance/educational benefits and scholarship programs.
- Reviews student files and correspondence, awards financial aid, makes decisions regarding use of professional judgment regarding student and/or family special circumstances.
- Assists in facilitating workshops and makes presentations on and off campus to groups regarding financial aid and scholarships.
- Assists in the management of endowed and gift scholarships which involves coordination with various UM schools and colleges, institutional advancement, and development.
- Develops/updates policies and procedures for all student loan programs processed to ensure compliance with federal and state law and regulation, and university policies
- Manages all student loans through the Coral Gables process
- Communicates with lenders (banks, guarantee agencies, loan servicers, etc) to provide follow-up service to students with loans in process.
- Manages confidential documents and correspondence such as IRS forms, court orders, insurance claims, academic records, psychiatric evaluations, etc. Special conditions related to any of those matters will result in a re evaluation of the students' financial resources.
- Serves as the point of contact for all medical students and the FA office. Serves as liaison with other related university offices or departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Analyzes and interprets financial assistance/educational benefits data.
- Interprets and explains financial aid federal/state regulations and rules.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills as a requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education and/or work experience may be considered.
- Three (3) years of relevant work experience in customer service. Experience in a financial aid or financial analyst capacity is highly preferred.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c104