Assistant Director, Shared Business Services #442882
Posting DetailsPosting Number20112014Position TitleAssistant Director, Shared Business Services #442882FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentVP for Finance and Operations DeptJob Summary/Basic Function
Job Summary:The Assistant Director, Shared Business Services is a critical new role which will provide financial and business management expertise to a wide variety of University Departments. The position will initially report to the Vice President, Finance and Operations and will help establish Shared Business Services and provide direct financial and business support for the Offices of the President, Provost, Vice President, Finance and Operations, Midstream Center, Center for Innovation, Commercialization, and Entrepreneurship (CICE), and other assigned units. The incumbent will work closely with the respective University level offices to coordinate activities to support their assigned units including those related to budget, financial management, and personnel while ensuring compliance with university policies and procedures as well as state and federal guidelines. Additionally, this position will provide indirect supervision/oversight and coordinate training of decentralized business managers in administrative and academic units operating within the University.
Essential Job Functions:
The Assistant Director, Shared Business Services (AD) will proactively address the following duties:
•Provide Direct Business Support (50%). The AD will work closely with respective University level offices to manage the daily financial activities of assigned units which may include revenue and expenditure budget preparation and control, accounting, purchasing/accounts payable, travel management, personnel/position control management, cashiering, financial reporting, contract preparation/negotiation, financial/business analysis, grant/gift funds management, and other related duties as assigned;
•Provide Oversight of Decentralized Business Managers (40%). The AD will provide indirect supervision (shared with unit leader) and oversight of decentralized business managers located throughout this University. This may include, but is not limited to evaluating work product, providing training, developing and enhancing best practices and the sharing of information, providing backup coverage during absences;
•Additional Duties as Assigned (10%). The AD may be involved in the evaluation, creation, and promotion of policies and procedures, evaluating programs and processes, supporting programmatic needs and activities of their assigned units, foster relationships and creativity across organizations, represent the organization at various community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces, serving as a backup within the Financial and Operations Division, or other additional job duties as assigned by their supervisor.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the university.
Minimum Education Required:
A BS/BA degree from an accredited college/university.
Minimum Experience Required:
A minimum of 5 years of business/financial management experience, with at least one year of leadership experience
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
•Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills and ability to work effectively in a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
•Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
•Strong analytical and problem-solving skills especially related to financial records and projections.
•Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
•Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
•Ability to develop financial plans, projections, and manage resources.
•Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
•Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
•Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Lamar Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
MBA or MA/MS in business management or related field preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/14/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * What is the highest level of education that you have achieved?
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of experience do you have in business management and/or operations management?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience in a leadership role do you have?
- 6 months
- 1 year
- 2-3 years
- 3-4 years
- 5-6 yeara
- 7+ years
- * Do you have knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures?
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook))
- Letter of Interest
- Official Transcript 1
- Official Transcript 2