Academic Advisor #498386
Posting DetailsPosting Number20112011Position TitleAcademic Advisor #498386FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentCenter of General StudiesJob Summary/Basic Function
The purpose of this position is to provide high quality academic advisement and career guidance to current and prospective General Studies majors. This position reports to the Director of Advising-BAAS/BGS.
Essential Job Functions:
Advise online and on-campus students individually in person, by telephone, and/or via email regarding core curriculum, campus resources, graduation, and university requirements. Provide students with information focused on meeting academic needs, including exploration of various fields of study and career options. Keep accurate records of student advising contacts and academic progress toward a degree. Prepare degree plans and degree audits. Verify requirements and monitor student progress using various student information systems. Utilize various computer software programs for student registration, tracking, and communication. Prepare required reports and other information accurately for the department. Work closely with academic advisors and support personnel in other departments and colleges to provide excellent customer service to students. Assist Department with and participate in University and Department functions such as graduation, orientation, and recruitment events. Provide support to the Center’s Director of Advising and Academic Advisor Senior. Perform additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum of three years related experience. Superior oral/written communication skills; computer proficiency, especially in MS Office applications and Banner; high level of organizational and interpersonal skills; and demonstrated ability to provide high quality customer service to students. Ability to keep accurate, detailed records. Experience in working with students from diverse backgrounds. Official transcripts are required at the time of employment.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; at least 1 year of experience in academic advising within a university or college setting.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/05/2020Close Date10/23/2020Open Until FilledNoSpecial Instructions
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application and attach the following required documents: 1) letter of interest, 2) resume, and 3) statement of advising philosophy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * What is the highest level of education that you have achieved?
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of admissions and/or advising experience do you have?
- 6 months to 1 year
- 2-3 years
- 4-5 years
- 6-7 years
- 8+ years
- * How many years of experience using Banner Student and Banner Finance systems? List the system and years of experience. If no experience, put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook))
- Letter of Interest
- Statement of Academic Advising Philosophy