Human Resources Specialist Sr. (HR Generalist) 442887
Posting DetailsPosting Number20112013Position TitleHuman Resources Specialist Sr. (HR Generalist) 442887FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentHuman Resources DeptJob Summary/Basic Function
Job Summary:Human Resources Generalist.
The purpose of this position is to provide support to the Human Resources Department. Work activities include, but are not limited to, the areas of recruitment, compensation and classification, compliance, policy and procedures, performance management, training and development, employee relations, benefits and HR information systems / data management.
Essential Job Functions:
•Recruiting/Staffing: Provides recruitment, interviewing, and hiring support to hiring managers and search committee members. Supports employee retention initiatives.
•Compensation and Classification: Supports the development and application of employee compensation and classification.
•Compliance: Supports the execution of human resources activities in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations. Informs, gives advice and counsels management and/or employees on trends and current developments in human resources. Helps coordinate compliance training and reporting.
•Policy and Procedures: Participates in the development and recommendation of operating policy and procedural improvements. Performs specific research/investigation into issues as requested.
•Performance Management: Assists in the administration of annual performance reviews.
•Training/Development: Assists in the acquisition, design, and/or delivery of employee training and development modules. Helps to administer the Cornerstone Learning Management System.
•Employee Relations: Responds to, investigates, and resolves employee concerns regarding Employee Relations and Title IX.
•Benefits: Supports the administration of various benefits programs for Lamar University, responds to employee inquiries, and helps to resolve issues.
•HRIS: Assist with the coordination in the development, and maintenance of specialized human resources databases, computer software systems, and filing systems.
•Participates in a variety of additional duties as assigned. (I-9 process, Visa/Immigration process, Leave/Claims coordination, Career Fairs, Investigations, Benefits Open Enrollment, HRIS reporting, Data management, etcetera)
Essential functions or requirements listed above may not be performed in every position with this title, and these essential functions may not include all related duties that might be requested and/or performed.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the university.
Minimum Education Required:Requires a bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, management, public administration or a related field from a regionally accredited university or equivalent work experience that provides extensive knowledge of fundamental theories, principles, and concepts.
Minimum Experience Required:
Three to five years of Human Resources experience, preferably in a Banner organization.
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
HRCI-PHR or SPHR certification; Or SHRM CP or SPC certification
•Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, human relations, public relations, and organizational skills.
•Ability to interact effectively, positively and with diplomacy between and among students, faculty, staff and general public.
•Ability to maintain confidentiality.
•Ability to work in a team environment or independently.
•Ability to analyze complex issues, research and gather information.
•Exceptional organizational, problem solving, prioritizing, multitasking, and decision-making skills.
•Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Repetitive movement of hands and fingers – typing and/or writing. Frequent standing, and/or sitting. Occasional walking, stooping, kneeling or crouching. Reach with hands and arms. Visually identify, observe and assess. Regular physical attendance required. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations (in accordance with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Typical schedule is M-F 8am-5pm; with some after-hours work.
This position supports essential functions of campus operations and the incumbent may be expected to report to work during inclement weather, emergency and other University work curtailments or closures.
Lamar Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
Demonstrated knowledge of Banner Human Resources, Cornerstone Learning Management System, and PeopleAdmin Applicant Tracking systems.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/08/2020Close Date10/22/2020Open Until FilledNoSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Please indicate the highest level of education you have completed.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Some college credits
- Technical School Degree and/or Certificate
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of full time work experience do you have in Human Resources or in University Student Employment?
- Less than 2 years
- 2-3 years
- 4-5 years
- 6 or more years
- * How many years of experience using Banner Student and Banner Finance systems? List the system and years of experience. If no experience, put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook))
- Letter of Interest
- Official Transcript 1