Certified Medical Assistant (Internal Medicine - Stratford)
Welcome to Rowan University’s Career Site
Rowan University is a Carnegie-classified Doctoral University (Moderate Research Activity) with approximately 19,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven academic colleges and five schools—the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Ric Edelman College of Communication & Creative Arts, the Colleges of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment—with an Honors College that spans across disciplines. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 90 public research universities and the 7th fastest growing research institution in the nation.
Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. For the complete Rowan University non-discrimination and affirmative action policy see: https://sites.rowan.edu/equity/_docs/policies/eeo-statement.pdf.
Rowan University is committed to assisting all members of the Rowan community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the Department of Public Safety website at: https://sites.rowan.edu/publicsafety/_docs/annual_security_report.pdf
If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report which contains this information, you can stop by the Department of Public Safety Office, located at Bole Hall Annex, 201 Mullica Hill Road, Glassboro, NJ 08028 or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (856) 256-4562 or 4506. The report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, public safety authority, crime reporting policies, fire safety, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about fire statistics in Rowan University Residential Facilities and crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This information is required by federal law, Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or "Clery Act" and is provided by the Rowan University Department of Public Safety.
Nondiscrimination at Rowan University: Pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and supporting regulations, Rowan does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education programs or activities that it operates; this extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its supporting regulations may be directed to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education or to the University’s Associate Vice President and Title IX Coordinator:
Monise Princilus, Ed.S.
Associate Vice President and Title IX Coordinator
Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Office of Student Equity & Compliance
Savitz Hall, Suite 203
201 Mullica Hill Rd, Glassboro, NJ 08028
For information on the Title IX Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault policy and grievance procedures, please click here.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
Certified Medical Assistant (Internal Medicine - Stratford)
Job no: 494756
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Stratford, New Jersey
Performs medical, clerical, and reception duties for the Department of Medicine. Provides medical assistance to physicians in the examination and treatment of patients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Checks patients in through IDX system; verifies demographics and insurance information and makes any corrections or additions; copies patient’s insurance card; collects appropriate copays; retrieves referrals for appropriate visits.
- Schedules patient appointments for office visits through IDX system.
- Verifies patient insurance benefits and precertification (if needed) for services to be provided.
- Prepares patients for visits, including taking history, chief complaint, weight, blood pressure, and pulse. Documents in EMR system.
- Provides vision screening.
- Assists physician with patient care.
- Draws up medications for injections given by physician.
- Performs phlebotomies for routine labs, as needed.
- Handles patient calls and relays to physician through the EMR system.
- Processes new patient charts in EMR system.
- Prepares patient charts for next day visits.
- Maintains medical waste logs and keeps abreast of current regulations.
- Prepares exam room for patient visits.
- Completes HMO referrals (paper and/or electronic).
- Scans into EMR all appropriate patient-related correspondence and information.
- Maintains stock of sample medications.
- Maintains office and medical supply inventory.
- Stocks exam rooms and keeps exam rooms neat and orderly.
- Orders injectables and vaccines.
- Maintains and cleans office medical equipment, as required.
- Maintains and refers to capitation lists for various insurers.
- Batches patient visits activity and prepares money for deposit.
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Performs light typing, as needed.
- Maintains a professional and orderly office appearance.
- Communicates with the Department’s various staff and offices.
- Opens and closes offices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Understands and adheres to Rowan’s compliance standards as they appear in Rowan’s Corporate Compliance, Code of Conduct, and Conflict of Interest policies.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Certification from an accredited medical assistant program is required. Knowledge of computers is required. At least one year of related experience in a medical office setting is preferred. A working knowledge of medical terminology in Internal Medicine, Pulmonology and Neurology is preferred. Must be able to work any evening required and travel to any satellite office. Must have experience in electronic medical records. The ability to work independently, excellent communication skills, organizational skills, and flexibility is required.
Advertised: Oct 15 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 28 2020 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time