Posting DetailsJob TitleAssistant DirectorDepartmentCenter for Civic LeadershipFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21112Open Date09/29/2020Close Date10/23/2020Salary Information
$43,800 – $46,000/yearWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
Reporting to and under the supervision of an associate director, the assistant director will support staff in the development, implementation, and management of undergraduate civic leadership programs and fellowships grounded in principles of community engaged learning, ethical frameworks, civic professionalism, and critical reflection. The assistant director will support the center’s work in diversity, equity, and inclusion on campus and in the community. S/he will assist in the cultivation and management of university-community partnerships, faculty partnerships, and alumni networks that enrich civic leadership programs. The assistant director may develop and lead workshops and/or organize special events. S/he may also have the opportunity to serve as the CCL undergraduate advisor.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/Discipline
Community engaged learning, social justice, or student development/student affairs.Substitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Master’s degree.Experience Required3 yearsType of Experience
- Related professional experience in undergraduate civic engagement education at a college or university, in government, or in a non-profit organization
- Experience working with diverse student populations , including first-generation, low-income, and underrepresented populations
- Experience fostering undergraduate student leadership through community-based research, critical service, advocacy, public policy, and/or philanthropy
- Building direct partnerships with government and community organizations and/or faculty
- Advising students
- Teaching and/or facilitation
- Program assessment
Must possess (or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver’s license with no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.License/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Knowledge of theories, including community engaged learning, student development, learning and identity development and experience applying those frameworks professionally
- Strong rapport building skills and experience collaborating with faculty, staff, students, and community partners
- Ability to develop and initiate new strategies
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans and handling issues when necessary
- Strong client service orientation and attention to detail
- Ability to oversee and direct staff
- Knowledge of managing budgets and developing financial plans
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve program goal
- Diversity facilitation
- Event planning
Internal Contacts: The incumbent has contact with undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff.
External Contacts: The incumbent has contact with community partners, government employees, and alumni.Physical Demands
Occasionally may carry/transport teaching, programmatic materials between rooms and buildings.Working Conditions
- Occasionally required to attend events outside of normal business hours
- May spend up to 25% of time off-campus for student programs, meetings, and conferences
- Must be able to travel unaccompanied
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24699Essential Functions
- Administers program operations, ensuring efficient, effective and productive operations
- Creates and implements plans to achieve program objectives and mission
- Interprets, implements, and ensures compliance with policies and regulations and recommends changes to procedures and processes
- Analyzes data, identifies trends, develops reports and recommends and implements changes to improve alignment with institutional mission and goals
- Creates and implements outreach plans that may include relationship development, communications, event and conference management
- Provides support in developing relationships with internal and external entities
- May assist with fundraising activities
- Creates budget plans, monitors and approves expenditures, develops reports, conducts analyses and manages and maintains financial records
- For academic programs, may be responsible for graduate student recruitment and admissions, student records, curriculum support, coordinating the accreditation process, managing scholarships and fellowships, and monitoring student progress
- May supervise small staff (up to three full time staff)
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor’s degree or higher in community engaged learning, social justice, or student development/student affairs?
- * Do you have three years of related professional experience in undergraduate civic engagement education at a college or university, in government, or in a non-profit organization? Please note you may substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- * Do you have experience working with diverse student populations, including first-generation, low-income, and underrepresented populations?
- * Do you have experience fostering undergraduate student leadership through community-based research, critical service, advocacy, public policy, and/or philanthropy?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?
- * What is your minimum expected salary for this position?
(Open Ended Question)