Posting DetailsJob TitleExhibition ManagerDepartmentMoody Center for the ArtsFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21115Open Date10/15/2020Close Date10/29/2020Salary Information
$50,000 annually minimum, with hiring salary commensurate with experience and qualificationsWork Schedule
- Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Attendance at all signature Moody events
The mission of the Moody Center for the Arts is to encourage creative thinking and original expression, enrich curricular innovation, and promote cross-campus and community collaboration through transformative encounters with the arts at Rice University. The exhibition manager will be responsible for the project management and execution of a wide variety of exhibitions, related programming and student projects at the Moody Center for the Arts.
The ideal candidate has strong project management experience preferably in the museum or art gallery setting.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related experience in exhibition management in an arts organization and/or museum setting.
Please note that we will accept a related Master’s degree in lieu of ONE year of the required experience.Substitution for Experience RequirementEducation may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience PreferredLicense/Certification Required
NoneLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Outstanding project management skills
- Ability to develop and initiate new strategies
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans and handling issues when necessary
- Strong client service orientation and attention to detail
- Ability to oversee and direct staff
- Knowledge of managing budgets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An ability to work with a wide range of individuals (e.g., artists, actors, faculty, staff, vendors) and to coordinate with the Moody staff
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
Internal: Outreach to Rice University faculty whose curricula relates to Moody Center exhibitions and programs. Works closely with executive director, deputy director, associate curator, and head preparator during installation process to ensure effective completion.
External: Works closely with artists of all disciplines and their representatives throughout exhibition and programming process. Works with external vendors, such as shipping companies and customs brokers to ensure timely execution of installations.Physical Demands
During exhibition installation, incumbent will be required to participate in moving of crates using pallet movers, fabrication/building of materials, and will be moving throughout exhibition space throughout full days.Working Conditions
- Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Required to attend all significant Moody Center events, which often occur on evenings and weekends
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24730Essential Functions
- Project management and execution of a wide variety of exhibitions, related programming and student projects
- Administers program operations, ensuring efficient, effective and productive operations
-Hires and manages temporary installation staff, communicates with all parties to ensure coordination and teamwork
-Ensures an installation schedule is developed and followed
-Hires, trains and manages student docents to ensure a professional and knowledgeable visitor experience
- Interprets, implements, and ensures compliance with policies and regulations and recommends changes to procedures and processes
- Provides support in developing relationships with internal and external entities
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Manages all exhibitions, including both site-specific installations and loan shows. The Moody has three exhibition seasons/changeovers per year
- Executes all loan forms and insurance documents, working directly with outside lenders
- Ensures all installation materials are ordered and available when needed
- Makes all crating and shipping arrangements, working directly with outside art handling and shipping companies
- Ensures that visiting artists’ travel and hotel accommodations are arranged.
- Coordinates and executes programming in support of Moody exhibitions, including four signature events
- Executes contractual agreements with artists, musicians, dancers, etc. who participate in Moody programs
- Acts as professional staff liaison to Moody Student Collaborative group
- Aids in the organization and execution of student workshops, student openings, and student social events
- At the direction of the Executive Director, engages with Rice University faculty whose curricula relates to Moody Center exhibitions and programs
-Proactively invites faculty to teach in the Moody classrooms
- Supervises student Gallery Guide Manager to ensure all shifts are filled to provide appropriate oversight of Moody Center exhibitions and an enhanced visitor experience
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education?
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree or Higher
- * How many years of related experience in exhibition management in an arts organization and/or museum setting do you have?
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 and more years
- * Please list museum and art organizations where you have gained related experience in exhibition management.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your experience in exhibition management.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)