Associate Director, Financial Aid
Posting DetailsJob TitleAssociate Director, Financial AidDepartmentOffice of Financial AidFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21120Open Date10/06/2020Close Date10/20/2020Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, standard 40-hour workweek with some flexibility.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
The associate director, financial aid is an integral part of the Office of Financial Aid within the Enrollment Division at Rice University, a highly selective research institution located in the Heart of Houston, Texas. The Office of Financial Aid is responsible for the administration of all sources of student financial aid in a manner strategically driven to meet the enrollment goals of the Rice University. The office is also responsible for ensuring that students and families are informed about the financial assistance available to them, including information on all federal, state, and institutional financial assistance programs.
The associate director, financial aid is a highly experienced financial aid officer, who will manage an advanced area of work often related to the focus of the work area of their supervisor. The associate director, financial aid will be responsible for programs or initiatives that have a high-degree of complexity, scope, or visibility and will require delegating responsibilities and monitoring work. The associate director, financial aid will serve as a mentor and role model to colleagues with less experience and interact with senior leadership to influence strategic decisions related to their specific work and the work of the division.
The associate director, financial aid administers the University’s financial aid for undergraduate and/or graduate students, their families, Rice colleagues, and the general public related to financial aid programs and policies or for a specific program or area. S/he ensures compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations and policies for awarding aid. Familiarity with highly selective admission, Institutional Methodology, and 100% Verification is highly desired. Knowledge of Rice University and/or experience in a higher education environment is desired.
Related experience in a financial aid office.Substitution for Experience RequirementEducation may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience PreferredLicense/Certification Required
NoneLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to exercise tact and discretion when dealing with students, families, and staff
- Expertise in counseling and working with students individually, ability to provide excellent customer service in difficult situations
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, manage time and workflow and to manage multiple, concurrent high priority projects in a time-pressured environment
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to explain University policy to others, detailed knowledge of financial aid regulations
- Knowledge of multiple financial aid systems, document management systems, window based environment and office applications
- Must have flexible attitude, and be able to function well as a team member in a high-volume environment
- Excellent counseling skills, as well as strong analytical ability
- Demonstrated student-centric service orientation and commitment to proactive customer service
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Basic accounting and computer skills
- Willingness to be part of a team
- The ability to recognize when empathy, sensitivity, and candor are needed
- The ability to manage multiple priorities under established time constraints
- Knowledge in of federal and state regulations, legislature and requirements regarding financial aid
Internal: Works with constituents including Cashier’s, Registrar’s, Research Accounting, Admissions, Enrollment Management Accounting, and Operations Center.
External: Constituents include students, prospective students, and their families.Physical Demands
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).Working Conditions
- Generally quiet space
- Occasional evening/weekend hours to meet deadlines
- Conference travel as needed
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24741Essential Functions
- Analyzes applications and completes need analysis for a high volume of financial aid applications
- Reviews detailed financial documents, including tax returns, for accuracy of reported financial information
- Reviews appeals on changes in student or family financial condition
- Determines student awards based on computed financial need and other factors, adjust budget and package based on special circumstances
- Communicates complex financial and other information to students and parent
- Reviews a wide variety of reports to identify changes or conflicting data in financial systems
- Processes aid for effective allocation of federal, state and institutional resources in financial aid packages by verifying, completing needs analysis and packaging undergraduate and graduate students
- Provides information pertaining to financial aid application procedures and opportunities to prospective/admitted/deposited students, as well as one‐on‐one counseling of students regarding financial aid procedures and opportunities
- Works directly with students to facilitate solutions and resolves complex issues regarding their financial aid package, verification, satisfactory progress, or other financial aid concerns
- Creates and presents financial aid presentations, both on and off-campus
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have five years of related experience in a financial aid office?