Utility Plant Operator
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190742SPInternal RecruitmentNoWorking TitleUtility Plant OperatorAnticipated Hiring Range$40,000 - $41,000Work Schedule12 hr shift, 3-4 days a week, 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. or 6:00 a.m.to 6:00 p.m.Job LocationRaleigh, NCDepartmentAbout the Department
The 900+ positions of the Facilities Division service the students and staff of the University’s teaching, research/administrative space, and 2,240 acres of infrastructure. The Facilities Division provides design and building services, maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to deliver cost effective services to the University, ensure completed projects and maintenance that confirm to codes and regulations, while minimizing University liabilities and disruptions caused by the maintenance, repair, building and equipment modifications to the University.
Function of Central Utility Plant Operations:
Provide the University steam and hot water through operation of the Central Utility Plan steam boilers and auxiliary steam and hot water equipment.
Monitor and maintain Central Utility Plan steam boilers and auxiliary steam and hot water equipment so operations are safely, reliably and efficiently sustained.
Provide the University chilled water through operation of the Central Utility Plan chillers and auxiliary chilled water equipment.
Monitor and maintain chillers and auxiliary chilled water equipment so operations are safely, reliably and efficiently sustained.
( Operate the Centennial/Cates Cogeneration facility which produce electrical power and steam to the campus.
This position serves as a central utility plant operator that operates electrical generation, steam production, chilled water production, hot water production equipment and conducts routine to complex maintenance. The operator is a part of a shift team and is directed by a shift supervisor in the operation of electrical generation equipment (combustion turbines, fuel gas compressors, inlet air coolers/filters), steam boilers, steam plant auxiliary equipment, electrical chillers, steam turbine driven chillers, cooling towers, primary/secondary pumping systems and auxiliary chiller equipment and water treatment systems. In addition, the shift operator will assist the shift supervisor in required monitoring and adjustments to equipment to maintain emissions within regulatory requirements.Other Responsibilities
- Cross-train to operate and maintain any steam boiler, electrical centrifugal chiller, steam driven turbine chiller, cooling tower, auxiliary equipment, and water treatment system in the steam generation system.
- This is a critical role position and employee must work during adverse weather conditions even if the University is closed to normal operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Maintains required certification(s).
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- Previous experience in steam production.
- Previous experience in chilled water production.
5 years experience in steam production (natural gas/fuel oil fire tube and water tube boilers up to 100 kpph)
5 years experience in chilled water production (electric driven/turbine driven up to 2000 tons)
1 year of experience in a central plant environment.
A valid driver’s license is required.
North Carolina driver’s license required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
Prefer having CFC license.Valid NC Driver's License requiredYesCommercial Driver's License Required?NoJob Open Date10/15/2020Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)10/22/2020Notice to ApplicantsSpecial InstructionsPosition Number00062071Position TypeSHRAPosition Classification Band TitleUtilities Plant OperatorPosition Classification Band LevelJourneyPosition Classification Salary Range$31,200 - 67,318Salary Grade Equivalency63Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure FailureTime Limited PositionNoTime-Limited Appointment Length (if applicable)Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment Id444401 - Central Utility Plant Zone 1AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Utilities Plant Operator position.
- High school diploma/GED and at least one year of experience in related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, and/or Doctorate in a related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, and/or Doctorate in unrelated field and at least one year of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience to equal at least one year of related experience
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and experience to equal 5 years (ex. 3 years of high school and 2 years of related experience)
- None of the above
- * A valid driver's license (DL) is required and a North Carolina Driver's License (NCDL) must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained as a condition of employment. Do you have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain one prior to start date, and the ability to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License within 60 days of hire?
- Yes, I have a valid NCDL and will maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Yes, I have a valid DL from another state and will obtain a NCDL within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Yes, I have a valid DL from another state but cannot or will not obtain a NCDL within 60 days of hire.
- No, I do not have a valid DL from any state, but I will obtain a it within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- No, I do not have a valid DL from any state and cannot or will not obtain it.
- * Please describe your experience working in a central plant environment. Also describe your experience working in steam production and chilled water production.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter