Senior Business Advisor
Category:: Staff and Administrators
Department:: 2541 (GSOM-SBDC Small Business Develop)
Locations:: Worcester, MA
Posted:: Oct 15, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time - Exempt
Ref. No.:: 199111
About Clark University:
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub
- Advising small businesses
- Management Advice
- Training on best practice, business development, planning, access to capital, marketing, and other aspects of running a small business
- Handle complex business problems
- Advance business plans for equity
- In depth financial analysis
- operational and organizational issues
- alternative sources of capita
- Advanced business planning, product development and market penetration strategies for companies (some of which may be characterized as technology related).
- The Advisor/Specialist will also be responsible for cultivating strong working relationships with
- The technology community,
- Regional bankers,
- Community leaders,
- Local government officials,
- Other organizations that may be in a position to either support funding, refer clients, or offer assistance and resources
- Other duties and responsibilities
- Provide regularly scheduled advising hours and support for the MSBDC programs at several Chambers of Commerce and regional economic development organizations (community outreach is a vital aspect of the MSBDC and the Senior Advisor position at Clark University).
- Maintain and keep orderly records of client files, expense records, and other information required by the MSBDC and Clark University.
- Maintain professional development credits required for this position.
- Attend and participate in MSBDC (Clark) staff meetings, professional development conferences, presentations, events and programs as time permits.
- Participate in Clark University events and programs when invited, time permitting.
- BA or equivalent (required).
- MBA or equivalent degree (preferred)
- 15+ years of management and practical business experience in a client/consulting environment (preferred)
- 5+ years in a technology driven environment (preferred).
- 10+ years of management and practical business experience in a client/consulting environment (required).
- Experience in preparing technology business plans and training experience are desirable.
- In cases that involve a technology-related company, the Senior Business Advisor should possess specialized knowledge/experience in dealing with technology related startups in the areas of:
- Angel funding, venture capital, and equity funding,
- Technology transfer,
- SBIR's (STTR's) and intellectual property,
- Team building, marketing and various phases of technology development.
- Ability to relate to a wide range of diversified clients and mentor while advising clients on business related issues.
- Must possess strong oral and written communications skills and be able to speak and give presentations to technology groups, local businesses, chambers, organizations, etc. on a variety of small business topics.
- Applicants should have a working knowledge of:
- Local, state and SBA/federal loan and technology grant programs;
- Demonstrated proficiency in financial analysis, business planning and capital formation subjects;
- Able to read and interpret financial statements and help clients prepare loan/financing packages, cash flow projections and pro-forma financial statements.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint computer applications.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Clark University Careers Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Clark University Careers Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.