Learning Assistant in Physics/Astronomy/Engineering - Institutional Student Worker (Spring 2021)
Position Title:Learning Assistant in Physics/Astronomy/Engineering - Institutional Student Worker (Spring 2021) Position Number:10043072 Campus Location:Dahlonega Job Close Date:11/30/2020 General Summary:
The University of North Georgia is accepting applications for student Learning Assistants (LAs) in physics, astronomy, and engineering for the 2021 Spring semester. Learning Assistants are undergraduate students who, through the guidance of weekly preparation sessions and a pedagogy course, facilitate discussions among groups of students in a variety of classroom settings that encourage active engagement.Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The student will:
- Interact with groups of students in lecture and/or lab courses by facilitating discussions about conceptual problems within the discipline. LAs will focus mainly on eliciting student thinking and helping each student participate in developing a shared understanding.
- Engage with faculty members in weekly preparation meetings. They will meet with their coordinators and/or faculty as a team at least once per week to prepare for future classes, develop deeper content understanding, and exchange information about how students are progressing in the course.
- Register for and participate in the pedagogy course (PHYS 3500) specifically designed for new LAs to introduce LAs to educational research.
Applicants must have successfully completed coursework in at least one of the following courses by the start of the Spring 2021 semester:
- PHYS 1111L
- PHYS 2211L
- PHYS 1112L
- PHYS 2212L
- PHYS 2211
- PHYS 1112
- ASTR 1010
- ASTR 1010L
- ASTR 1020
- ASTR 1020L
- ENGR 1000
- Must be enrolled at the University of North Georgia in a minimum of six (6) credit hours to qualify as a student worker
- In lieu of the cover letter, please upload a statement (300 words or less) about why you want to be a LA and include a ranked list of the courses (limit = 3) you would want to be a LA.
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. Information:Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.