ANALYST, IT, SR. APPLICATION DEVELOPER
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
The Applications group in the Office of Academic Solutions and Information Systems (OASIS) builds, implements and supports software and data solutions for Duke’s research community. Our solutions are used by researchers and research administrators in support of the research mission of Duke University, the School of Medicine, Institutes, Centers and Departments.
The OASIS Application Development team builds custom software using user-centered design and agile development processes. All our developers are involved in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, including designing, building, testing, implementing and supporting applications.
This is a senior-level developer position, focused on the Compliance product line, reporting to the Compliance team lead.
We are looking for a team-focused developer with good communication skills, excellent problem-solving skills, and a “can-do” attitude. A working knowledge of most of these technologies and concepts is required:
- Agile Methodologies – Kanban, Iterative Development, Spikes, SCRUM
- Object-oriented programming
- Automated Testing – RSpec, Jest, Continuous Integration Frameworks
- Database – Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
- Operating Systems – Windows, Mac OS, Linux
- DevOps – Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery
- Containerization – Building images, Running containers from images, Dockerfile, docker-compose
Application Design and Development
- Research and promote the adoption of agile development best practices (e.g., writing test-first code, pairing etc.)
- Develop automated solutions to inefficient or repetitive development tasks
- Identify frameworks and tools that are best suited for the task at hand
- Develop technical specifications and/or prototypes that satisfy functional requirements
- Refactor code wherever possible
- Research and promote the adoption of automated testing solutions
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with existing application code
- Assist with in-depth analysis of technical problems, suggest short- term and long-term resolutions
- Mentor and pair-program with less senior developers
- Encourage and actively participate in code reviews
- Develop and deploy application features and bug fixes according to technical specifications
- Write clean, well-factored code
- Write test cases for all application code
- Follow established source control and deployment practices to help ensure reliable product releases
- Contribute to system and user documentation
- Participate in any of the phases of the software development lifecycle as requested
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
- Participate in OASIS Application Development firewatch pager rotation
- Provide level 3 application support
- Troubleshoot application problems
- Develop and deploy bug fixes and patches
- Demonstrates excellent time management skills
Experience:Require Required: Three years of directly related experience
Preferred: Direct experience using object-oriented programming languages, developing web applications, web services, and/or back-end infrastructure for mobile applications
The information above describes the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of position incumbents.
Date last revised: 10/23/2020
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.