Director of Institutional Research
Position Title: Director of Institutional Research
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Position URL: http://winthrop.peopleadmin.com/postings/6542
The Director of Institutional Research plays a key role in setting direction for the IR Office in support of the University's mission and strategic initiatives. The Director has responsibility for supervising the IR staff, as well as managing data, providing analysis and interpretation of data, and preparing reports for internal and external use and distribution. The Director provides information and analytic support to facilitate institutional strategic planning, policy-making, resource allocations, enrollment projections, and other processes requiring interpretation of data. The IR Office is housed in the Division of Academic Affairs, with the director reporting directly to the Interim Director of Institutional Effectiveness.
Winthrop University prides itself on being an institution of choice for groups traditionally underrepresented on many college campuses. The Division of Academic Affairs welcomes applications from individuals who will bring diverse perspectives and backgrounds to advance the University’s goals of celebrating diversity and fostering inclusion.
- Process institutional data for internal use and external surveys.
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of regular and ad hoc reports and publications.
- Respond to time-critical internal and external ad hoc requests for institutional information and analyses.
- Conduct complex statistical analyses of data and prepare analytical reports and institutional dashboards.
- Seek and validate data, including outside benchmarks or comparative data, to support institutional decision-making processes.
- Translate data analysis results in order to visualize data significance using data visualization and business intelligence tools.
- Develop, administer, manage, and prepare reports from internal surveys (e.g., alumni survey, senior survey).
- Supervise IR staff.
- Oversee and manage the IR web page.
- Master's degree required in a research-based field, such as social sciences, education research, statistics, or related discipline. Doctorate preferred.
- Five or more years of experience in higher education research, data management, and data analysis.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and experience with statistical analysis and research - advanced user of one or more statistical analysis tools/software packages (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Proficient in business intelligence and data visualization tools and methodologies (e.g., Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, Qualtrics, Google Charts).
- Knowledge of and familiarity with higher education enterprise data systems and the ability to extract data and translate into useful information.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and strict deadlines, while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Application submission closes on November 13, 2020.
Materials to submit:
- Cover letter detailing interest, experience, and evidence of required qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
- Official or unofficial transcripts (official will be required for appointment)
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886, Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina, offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for Winthrop’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 16 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. The University conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a student loan default check, a criminal history record check, and, when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Winthrop University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.