Position Summary: The Electrician is responsible for performing complex technical work, on a journeyman level, in the installation, operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of electrical systems, equipment fixtures, lighting and related electrical systems, in accordance with applicable Electrical Industry Codes.
Supervision received: This positions reports to the Director/Associate Director of Facilities.
- Performs journeyman level electrical work in the installation, operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of electrical systems, equipment, fixtures and related systems by inspecting and testing elements of electrical systems to locate and diagnose faults and malfunctions, performing required repairs through replacement of inoperative parts or re-wiring of circuits in accordance with applicable Electrical Industry Codes, and providing an estimate of repair (and/or replacement) costs beyond the capability to perform.
- Ensures that electrical distribution systems, including power supply lines up to 480 volts, are safe, meet the requirements for electrical power, and comply with applicable codes by maintaining, modifying, and repairing those systems, calculating branch circuit loads, interpreting electrical wiring diagrams and schematics, and determining methods and requirements for wiring Must have basic knowledge (safe practices) of medium power transmission lines to 8320 volt.
- Pulls electrical permits as needed. Assures all work is completed per the requirements of the National Electrical Code.
- Interpersonal skills to work with other Alma College employees to schedule work to be completed. The ability to work with vendors in the day-to-day purchases and timely management of replacement components. Must be able to work in teams.
- Provides technical assistance in the purchase of new or replacement electrical and electro-mechanical equipment or systems by reviewing and preparing equipment specifications, and advising the Associate Director/Director of Facilities equipment capability and compatibility, installation requirements and costs, and potential operations and maintenance expenses.
- Contributes to a safe campus environment by servicing and maintaining all emergency generators, automatic transfer switches, emergency inverters, emergency egress lighting, and exterior lighting on campus, including LED, mercury vapor, high pressure sodium, and metal halide lamps.
- Assists with documenting the cost of electrical maintenance repairs and services by keeping records of time and materials to be charged to each job, and providing periodic status reports to the Associate Director/Director of Facilities.
- Reduces the likelihood for liability regarding the College’s compliance with federal regulations by complying with policies, laws, and regulations governing environmental protection, hazardous waste disposal and the use of chemical substances and materials.
- Builds and maintains every aspect of preventative maintenance along with drawing new opportunities for electrical upgrades, cost initiatives, etc.
- Assures that electrical systems installed by outside electrical contractors meet the current National Electric Code Standards and are in accordance with approved College standards by inspecting electrical jobs on campus, which is performed by outside electrical contractors.
- Enforces College and departmental rules and policies regarding employee conduct by advising electrical personnel of the rules and policies on employee conduct, issuing verbal warnings and written reprimands for violations, and recommending progressive disciplinary action to the Assistant Director as necessary.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Facilities Department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent plus a journeyman’s license in the electrical field is required.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the electrical trade is required.
- Must be licensed as a Journeyman or Master Electrician. Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Experience must include a thorough working knowledge of the International and Michigan Commercial Electrical Code for installation and maintenance of electrical systems.
- Ability to interpret wiring diagrams, blueprints, and electrical schematics effectively is required.
- Must be able to apply electrical formulas and conversion tables to job requirements.
- Ability to use electrical test equipment and small hand and power tools, such as wrenches, drills, soldering irons, volt-ohmmeters, amp meters, circuit testers is required.
Must be able to lift and transport materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 80 pounds on an occasional basis.
Prolonged standing and frequent bending, stooping, and reaching on a daily basis; and working in confined spaces.
Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically powered tools and electrical test equipment, to move throughout campus, including climbing stairs in all college buildings, and to work at heights.
Work is performed indoors and out-of-doors, occasionally in environments that are dusty, noisy, or which could have work hazards.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of application that addresses the skills required for the position, a résumé, an Alma College Employment Application and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and nature of relationship of three professional references via email to: Ryan Stoudt, Associate Director of Facilities and Services Management, Alma College, [email protected] For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897- employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.
Please note that incomplete applications that are received will not be considered.Story published on October 14, 2020 Last modified on Oct. 14th at 8:51am by Amanda Duval.