Medical Office Assistant
Job location: Lynchburg, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-14
The incumbent is responsible for providing general administrative support in the Clinical Practice Group (CPG) office.
- Independently schedules and registers patients, takes payments and provides receipts.
- Answers telephones, screens calls, confirms appointments, maintains appointment schedule following office scheduling procedures. Refers callers to appropriate individuals, and gives routine information in accordance with established procedures.
- Creates patient no show and cancellation letters according to office policy. Calls to reschedule as appropriate.
- Completes daily attendance in scheduling system.
- Posts clinic collected payments in online journal, verify collections against monies on hand, document discrepancies as needed according to cash collection policy.
- Assists patients with prescriptions and forms, which includes making sure all necessary information is provided, and contact appropriate parties as necessary.
- Obtains insurance authorizations and referrals as needed.
- Checks in patients upon their arrival and verifies patient information; updates patient tracking, provides patient with medication list, assures accuracy and completeness of co-pays, charges and insurance information.
- Checks out patients at their departure and schedule follow-up and specialty appointment as appropriate. Update, print, and provide after visit summary (AVS) to patient. Provides school / work excuses as appropriate.
- Prepares documents for scanning as needed.
- Abstracts health record data into EMR.
- Other projects and/or assignments as directed.
High School Diploma or GED.
Successful completion of UVA Patient Access classes within three months of hire – Insurance 101, Scheduling, Registration and Cash Collections within three months of hire date.
Two years of relevant experience required.
Customer service experience required.
Knowledge and skills:
Basic knowledge of and experience utilizing a personal computer.
Basic word processing skills required.
Must have ability to learn and use telephone, facsimile and copy machine systems.
Busy medical office environment. The incumbent will be working in a office and patient examination room and is required to help move patients when needed and standing during portions of the physical examination. Physical activity may include the ability to lift/push/pull 20 - 50 pounds, and would involve standing for prolonged periods of time, as well as frequently bending/stooping and traveling. Physical hazards include potential exposure to body fluids and associated pathogens/infectious disease, as well as potential exposure to chemicals.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.