Director of Treasury and Tax
Lynn University is an innovative, global and personalized college based in Boca Raton, Florida. Our 3,000 students are from approximately 100 countries. Our NCAA Division II Fighting Knights athletics program has won 25 national championships (and counting!)
The Chronicle of Higher Education consistently recognizes us as a "Great College to Work For" with high scores in compensation and benefits; work/life balance; job satisfaction; respect and appreciation, and more.
As a Lynn employee, you will help us build a better world with our students. Lynn is currently accepting applications for the position of Director of Financial Planning & Analysis.
The Director of Financial Planning & Analysis will lead Lynn University's treasury and tax function and oversee a broad range of treasury activities including cash management, credit agreement management, compliance reporting, financial institution relationship management, investment management, and derivatives monitoring along with tax matters (U.S. federal, state and international income taxes, sales tax, employee-related tax, etc.) including annual Form 990 reporting. The successful applicant will work closely with other finance functions (accounting, finance, human resources, legal) and external advisors, as applicable. Responsibilities will also include the development of policies and procedures with an emphasis on automation and process improvement while also focusing on developing and maintaining a strong control environment. Special projects will be supported as business needs require.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Treasury Function (50%):
- Oversee administration of the University's credit agreements, including monitoring of covenants, quarterly and annual reporting compliance and communication with lenders in conjunction with the CFO
- Direct cash management including daily visibility into cash balances, rolling 13-week cash forecasting and variance analysis, monitoring operational cash inflows and coordinating operational disbursements with Accounts Payable team, optimize investment of excess funds, short term borrowing and interest rate management while ensuring adequate cash funding in accounts to meet daily liquidity needs
- Oversee cash management banking and financial institution relationships, negotiate bank and service fees, and evaluate products and services (e.g., payment service providers, purchasing cards, etc.) to improve cash cycle and simplify operations
- Develop and implement strategies to manage interest rate risk as appropriate
- Manage treasury and related policies, controls and compliance with SOX
- Manage liquidity and cash assets
- Scrutinize and improve weekly, monthly, and long-term Treasury cash forecasts
- Review investment opportunities and seek opportunities in line with Investment Policy and Management's instructions
- Review, recommend, design and implement operational improvement
- Prepare documentation for Board of Trustee meetings
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Tax Function (50%)
- Lead all tax compliance and filing requirements for Lynn, including but not limited to: Federal, state, and local income tax compliance, through the use of external advisors
- Manage accounting for income taxes for the Company on a quarterly and annual basis, including related financial statement presentation, footnotes, and memos
- Remain current on changes to tax laws and potential impact to Lynn
- Oversee and manage tax audits to drive optimal results and update existing practices to mitigate potential future audits
- Ensure timely and accurate income tax filings and monitor cash tax impact to cash flow
- Collaborate with human resources and legal teams to properly advise management of tax consequences and opportunities
- Monitor ongoing changes to sales tax landscape
- Manage tax and related policies, controls and compliance with SOX
- Bachelor's degree
- MBA and/or CPA/CTP preferred
- At least 7 years of experience including treasury and tax experience.
- Experience in higher education or a large not-for-profit organization preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of computerized financial systems, preferably Workday
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Must have demonstrated experience with financial statement and report preparation
- Must have demonstrated experience with treasury management
- Demonstrated ability with financial modeling
- Must possess effective oral communication, writing, organizational, analytical, problem solving, supervisory, and group leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to engage stakeholders across an organization
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel at a highly proficient level
- Individual must be able to handle sensitive, confidential information in a mature, professional manner
Accreditation and equal opportunity
Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy, parenting status, veteran status or retirement status in its activities and programs. In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Inquiries concerning the application of the non-discrimination policy may be directed to the Lynn University Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator at 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431, [email protected], or +1 561-237-7727; or to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Lynn University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call +1 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lynn University. 2020 Lynn University
Americans with Disabilities Act
Please notify us at least five days in advance if a reasonable accommodation for a disability is needed by calling +1 561-237-7639.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with the Clery Act, the University annually provides a report to each student and current employee, as well as to prospective employees and students, that provides a detailed disclosure of information regarding campus security practices (including Emergency Response Plan, Timely Warnings, Emergency Warnings, Missing Persons, fire safety policies, fire prevention data, and Crime Log policies), as well as crime and fire-related incident statistics for the preceding year. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at lynn.edu/securityreport
For your health, Lynn University is now smoke- and tobacco-free.