Position DetailsJob TitleBiobank CoordinatorPosition Number8150677Job CategoryUniversity StaffJob TypeFull-TimeFLSA StatusNon-ExemptCampusMaywood-Health Sciences CampusDepartment NameCLINICAL RESEARCH OFFICELocation CodeCLINICAL RESEARCH OFFICE (06124A)Is this split and/or fully grant funded? YesDuties and Responsibilities
The Biobank Coordinator will carry out the efficient daily operation of the Loyola University Biobank.
The Loyola University Biobank is one of 4 interactive and cooperative cores within the Loyola University Clinical Research Office. The Biobank provides well-controlled, fully compliant, centralized mechanisms for research participant sample collection, storage and distribution. Standard operating procedures are in place to ensure samples are handled/processed appropriately. Specimens are then tracked by the sample management software via a barcode system which provides a real time electronic inventory of samples and a link to user defined sample information.
– Interact with Biobank Director, other CRO leadership, CRO staff and researchers to support and coordinate projects
– Ensure necessary consents/authorizations are in place for sample collection
– Maintain study records and associated clinical data bases (RedCap) as needed
– Handle sample requests, procure needed authorizations, and process/deliver samples within agreed upon timelines
– Track tasks and deliverables to maintain accurate records and ensure projects meet timelines
– Performs additional duties as required as new studies are initiated
Sample Collection, Processing and Banking
– Ensure samples are collected and processed, labelled, stored and cataloged appropriately
– Perform DNA, RNA and protein extraction from blood and tissue samples
– Perform immunohistochemical staining of tissue samples
– Retrieve requested samples and prepare sample inventories/data reports as needed
– Prepare samples for shipping and receiving as needed per protocols
– Maintain sample data bases (freezerworks)
– Maintain necessary biobank supplies
– Maintain service records and prepare invoices for services
– Work with the Biobank Director to ensure adequate updating and organization of protocols related to research studies, the overall organization of the biobank, as well as the maintenance and calibration of equipment.
– Operate and maintain a variety of scientific instrumentation (e.g. centrifuges, freezers, sample processing machines)
Preferred: Research expertise, IATA certification
Preferred: research experience, IATA certification
- Excellent communication skills related to:
– interacting professionally with researchers and clinicians
– interacting professionally with patients to obtain informed consent
– Documentation and writing skills
– Demonstrated leadership and motivational capabilities.
– Employment of universal biohazard safety precautions
– Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures
– Ability to perform basic filing, office procedures and word processing
– Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency
– Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner
– Ability to maintain confidentiality
– Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people
– Ability to deal with stressful situations
– Ability to function independently and manage one’s own time and work tasks
– Ability to work as an effective research team member
– Ability to organize workflow
Preferred: IATA CertificationComputer Skills
Microsoft officeSupervisory ResponsibilitiesNoRequired operation of university owned vehiclesNoDoes this position require direct animal or patient contact? YesPhysical DemandsNoneWorking ConditionsIrregular HoursOpen Date09/29/2020Close DateSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/14331Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * Why do you want to work for Loyola?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the highest level of education that you have successfully completed:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Some college coursework
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor Degree
- Master Degree
- Doctoral Degree
- * Do you have any previous experience working in a lab?
- * Do you have previous research experience?
- * Have you completed IATA training?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application