RESEARCH ASSOCIATE III
The College of Engineering & Computer Science, at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, seeks a Research Associate III to assist the Dean with research, data collection/analysis, reporting and dissemination of results related to 2 NSF funded projects; an ADVANCE Institutional Transformation grant “Attracting and Nurturing Women Faculty at a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)” and an INCLUDES Symposium for ADVANCING STEM Latinas in Academic Careers. The Research Associate is also expected to build partnerships with other institutions of higher education and national organizations and engage in strategic initiatives including proposals development to strengthen these efforts.
Under general supervision and with significant latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, performs complex specialized research work. Conducts research on segments or phases of comprehensive research projects. Responsible for supervision of other research personnel.Description of Duties
• Independently conducts, monitors and analyzes research projects under some guidance from Principal Investigators.
• Uses statistical methods and relational databases to analyze data sets.
• Prepares and reviews reports of research findings.
• Conducts data-gathering interviews.
• Responsible for planning, developing, coordinating, and administering research projects.
• Responsible for formulating research objectives, programs, and priorities in consultation with the Principal Investigator.
• May design and create computer programs for research applications.
• May prepare research budget estimates, maintain cost accounting records of project expenditures, and prepare monthly budget reports.
• Complies with all Federal and State regulations, and University policies.
• May have supervisory responsibilities for junior staff and students.
• Installs, operates, and maintains research equipment.
• Other duties may be assigned.Supervision Received
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.Supervision Given
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws while supervising student employees and offering guidance to junior Research Associates.Required Education
Master’s Degree from an accredited University.Preferred Education
The preferred qualifications are a PhD degree in a STEM field (including the social sciences).Licenses/Certifications
• Three (3) years of relevant experience with a Master’s degree from and accredited University in an applicable discipline, or
• Five (5) years of relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University in an applicable discipline.Preferred Experience
Experience and/or familiarity with NSF Broadening Participation programs such as ADVANCE and INCLUDES, experience with grant writing, and an understanding of intersectionality along the lines of gender and ethnicity.Equipment
Knowledge of statistical concepts and methods and their application to research analysis, of measurement, testing, and evaluation, and of research methods, principles, techniques, and philosophies. Skilled in conducting qualitative and quantitative research and in using computers, software, and statistical tools and programs. Ability to plan, organize, and oversee research projects, evaluate research data, ensure the development of measuring instruments with respect to reliability, relevance, and validity, interpret and publish research findings, and communicate effectively. Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software and able to learn and use institutional software systems.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Other
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public. This position is designed for full-time employees. May work some evenings and/or weekends.Physical CapabilitiesEmployment CategoryFull-TimeMinimum SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosted SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Available Date10/05/2020Grant Funded PositionYesIf Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date09/30/2021EEO Statement
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Linkhttp://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25908Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Training Certificates
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Additional Document