Assistant Professor - Visual Communication Design
Assistant Professor - Visual Communication DesignPosting Number:
Assistant ProfessorClassification Code:
8003RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
09.07 - Radio, Television & Digital CommunicationFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary for this position is $63,710.Anticipated Start Date:
9/16/2021Term of Appointment:
9 months per academic year, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Spokane Catalyst LocationCounty:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Sherry MowattResponsible HR User:
Lori LivingstoneResponsible HR User Email address:
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics at Eastern Washington University (EWU) invites applications for a tenure track Visual Communication Design faculty position within the Department of Design. Expected start date is September 2021.
We are seeking a candidate who will be an inspirational teacher, role model, and a student mentor with a dedication to teaching and excellence in learning. EWU is one of the most culturally and economically diverse universities in the state of Washington and recently won a Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award. Approximately one-third of the students are multicultural, and half are first generation. We seek a candidate with a demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, for our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Typical workload for a tenure track position follows a balance of teaching, research/creative works, and service.
The ideal candidate will be interested in working collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines; working with nonprofits, government agencies, and companies on collaborative courses and projects; and be committed to advancing the design disciplines through one’s practice and approach to design education. The selected candidate will be capable of teaching at all levels of the undergraduate program and across diverse fields of design that include but are not limited to, visual communication, typography, information design, systems design, user experience, user interface, web and mobile, interaction design, and demonstrate awareness of sustainable design practices. Applicants who possess expertise in complementary field and/or industry experience are encouraged to apply.
Screening will begin November 16, 2020; the position is open until further notice. To be assured full consideration, your application must be complete and submitted by the screening date.About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.Physical Demands :
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. You may access this document at the link provided below:
EFA for Assistant Professor – Visual Communication Design
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
- Degree in Visual Communication Design or related field which must be completed no later than September 1, 2021; to be considered qualifying, the degree must meet one of the following criteria:
- Earned Ph.D., MFA, or MDes, in Visual Communication Design
- Or other earned equivalent degree
- Demonstrated expertise in user experience design, user interface, UX research, and implementation for web and mobile platforms;
- Expertise may be demonstrated through coursework taken, courses taught, and/or through relevant industry experience;
- Strong interest in teaching visual communication design courses that might include digital foundations, design foundations, user experience, web design, and professional practice;
- Excellence communication skills to meet the needs of our diverse student body;
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive flexible approach that is supportive to the divers needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff and the public.
- At least 3 or more years of teaching experience; preference may be given to candidates who offer both in-person and online teaching experience;
- At least 3 or more years industry/professional experience;
- A strong foundational understanding of visual communication design;
- Experience designing for User Interfaces (UI), constructing information architecture(s), conducting UX research, creating low-medium-and-high fidelity prototypes, usability testing, systems design, sitemaps, wireframes, design mock-ups;
- Experience with responsive web design and device-agnostic design principles and practices experience working with at least one front-end framework that integrates HTML, CSS, Javacript, and SVG (React, Vue, Angular, etc.);
- Interest in working collaboratively with colleagues across disciplines and through project-based learning; engaging with the community on collaborative courses and projects; and supervising internships.
N/AWork Schedule Type:
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities.Posting Date:
10/13/2020Open Until Further Notice:
NoScreening to Begin:
11/16/2020Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application materials through our online application portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Lori Livingstone at (509) 359-6931.
Submissions must include:
- Letter of application that addresses how you meet each of the key responsibilities and qualifications of the position (both required and preferred, if applicable), especially how your expertise and experience align with the posting;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Unofficial transcripts;
- A statement of your teaching philosophy that includes any supporting evidence of teaching success and your desire to teach at an instructionally intensive, undergraduate-focused institution (not more than 2 pages);
- Include a list of at least 3 references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
- Diversity statement: as an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of students, faculty, staff and the public;
- Other Document 1: Attach a portfolio with up to 20 images of your work and up to 10 images of student work, in a single pdf. Embedded links to a website with 10-20 examples of personal and student work are acceptable; include 1 case study in portfolio;
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification.
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
100Responsibility / Duty:
A Faculty Activity Plan will be developed by the end of the first quarter of the selected candidate’s appointment, and will consist of a combination of teaching, research, service, and/or release time to perform administrative duties, as negotiated and as needed to meet the business needs of the department.
Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of learning outcomes.