Office Support Specialist
Position DetailsPosition TypeCivil ServiceClassification TitleOffice Support SpecialistPosition's Functional TitleOffice Support SpecialistPosition Start Date10/01/2020Position End Date (if temporary)Position Summary
Governors State University’s College of Business is seeking an Office Support Specialist who will support the Accounting, Finance, MIS, & Economics Division. The position supports the AFME Division Chair and 20-25 full-time and part-time faculty. The position also works closely with the College of Business Dean, Dean’s office staff and the other Management, Marketing, & Entrepreneurship Division Support Staff in the college.
The Office Support Specialist will perform a wide variety of office support tasks, which require the use of judgment and initiative and the ability to operate computer systems, using word processing, database and software packages. Knowledge of the organization, programs, practices and procedures of the unit is central to the performance of the duties.
Percent of Time by Job Duty/Responsibility is typically:
50% – Division Chair Administrative Support
40% – Faculty Operational Support
10% – Other Projects
REQUIRED: DOCUMENTATION CONFIRMING HIGH SCHOOL COMPLETION OR EQUIVALENT MUST BE ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION OF THIS POSITION, COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS MAY BE SUBSTITUTED (See “Special instructions to applicants” section below).
1. Must be resident of the State of Illinois
2. High school graduation or equivalent
3. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the Office Support Associate classification or in other positions of comparable responsibility
4. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the categories below:
A. work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems
B. college or university course work in any curriculum
•twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months
•twenty-four (24) semester hours = twelve (12) months
•thirty-six (36) semester hours = eighteen (18) months
*Typical duties for the Office Support Specialist are listed on the State Universities Civil Service System website (https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/). Search under Class Specifications.Preferred Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Work experience in higher education environment.
3. Extensive knowledge of office support and general office practices and procedures.
4. Ability to keyboard accurately at a rate of 40 net w.p.m.
5. Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, and formatting.
6. Skill in oral and written communication.
7. Ability to utilize various software packages.
8. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.Posting Date10/13/2020Closing Date10/23/2020Open Until FilledNoPosting NumberCS0458PType of SearchExternalQuicklink for Postinghttp://employment.govst.edu/postings/5445Employee IDDepartmentSpecial Instructions to Applicants
For consideration, applicants are required to attach the following:
1: Current Illinois driver’s license or identification card.
2: Documentation confirming High School completion or equivalent.
3: Online Application – Must be fully completed, include all dates of employment, employment status (full-time or if part-time, include percentages), job duties and responsibilities (full details).
4: Cover Letter.
6: A list of three Professional References.
This vacancy involves a computerized exam. Please see the State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) website for additional details at www.sucss.illinois.gov .
Illinois residency is required.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS:
Veterans may be eligible to receive additional points on a passing final examination score. To determine eligibility, submit one of the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
1: Department of Defense – DD214/DD215
2: National Guard – NGB22 Form
3: Discharge Orders
4: Reserves – DD256 Discharge Certificate
**Notes: Must be received by the closing date of this posting.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Are you a resident of the State of Illinois?
- Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Illinois Driver's License or Identification Card
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation