Assistant/Associate Professor #499809
Position DetailsPosting NumberClassification TitlePosition TitleAssistant/Associate Professor #499809FTE1.00FLSASalaryCommensurateJob Summary/Basic Function
The Department of Teacher Education invites applications for a tenure-track, faculty position at the assistant/associate level in our Teacher Education Program. The successful candidate will teach face-to-face and online undergraduate classes in the Educator Preparation Program, with a focus on the Science of Teaching Reading. The department is also adding a new Master’s of Arts in Teaching degree in 2021.
In addition to teaching, the candidate will maintain an active research and publication agenda; assist in the coordination of the Teacher Education program vision; and fulfill service responsibilities to the department, college, university and profession. The candidate will be expected to work in collaboration with other colleagues in the College of Education and Human Development as well as with our school and community partners.
The successful candidate must provide leadership, coordination, collaboration, and innovation in redesigning the current reading curriculum and instruction coursework to include the alignment of the new science of teaching reading standards mandated by House Bill 3, passed during the 86th Texas Legislature session. Starting January 1, 2021, all teacher candidates who teach students in grades early childhood through eighth grade must demonstrate proficiency in the science of teaching reading on a standalone certification exam.
Home to more than 15,000 students, Lamar University is a Carnegie Doctoral Research University and is one of the fastest growing universities in The Texas State University System. Lamar University offers more than 100 programs of study leading to bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The 270-acre campus in Beaumont is about 90 miles east of Houston and about 25 miles west of Louisiana. Lamar University stresses academic achievement by emphasizing accessibility, research and innovation in online learning. The university is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The College of Education and Human Development is Accredited by NCATE.
The campus is conveniently located within easy reach of Houston, TX, Lake Charles, LA, and surrounding communities.
-An earned doctorate in Education (e.g., C&I, Reading Specialist)
-Commitment to the professional field of Teacher Education
-Experience teaching reading courses
-Commitment to diversity
-Knowledge of the Science of Teaching Reading (STR) curriculum in Texas
Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. Please visit our website at: http://www.lamar.edu for more information.
-Associate Professor level
-Experience in online education
-Experience as a reading specialist in a PK-12 setting
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Lamar Expectation of Quality
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.Disclaimer
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change. Lamar University reserves the right to revise, change or eliminate this job description at any time.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to the needs of the university.
This Job Description is not intended to be a contract of employment or a legal document. Employment with Lamar University is at will, and may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this Job Description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Lamar University employees.Essential Functions Open Date09/15/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates should apply online at: https://jobs.lamar.edu/ and include curriculum vitae, letter of interest, and three references.
If you have any questions about the positions, please contact Dr. Freddie Titus at: 409-880-8217 or email [email protected]
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Do you have a Doctoral degree?
- * In what field did you earn your Doctorate degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of experience do you have teaching at the higher education level? Also briefly list if you have graduate and/or online teaching experience & years of experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have knowledge of the Science of Teaching Reading (STR) curriculum in Texas?
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Transcript 1
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3