Executive Director, Institute for Technology Law and Policy
Executive Director, Institute for Technology Law and Policy
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Institute for Technology Law and Policy organizes and deepens Georgetown's programming and curricular efforts in technology-related fields. It coordinates its activities with other Centers and Programs, including the Center on Privacy and Technology and the Center on National Security and Law. The Institute supports development of affiliated programming and works towards establishing Georgetown Law as a preeminent forum for discussion and study of technology-related legal and policy issues.
The Executive Director develops the structure and programming of the Institute for Technology Law and Policy; works to establish the Institute as a leading voice in and convener of discussions and debates about technology law and policy; spearheads the Institute's fundraising and communications efforts; represents the Institute in high-profile fora and events; builds and maintains connections with University cross-campus Technology & Society initiatives; helps recruit key staff; and supervises the day-to-day functions of Institute staff, fellows, and students.
The Executive Director oversees the Institute budget, including for staff salary, programs, and activities; and oversees grant reports to funders.
The Executive Director's work and duties may require occasional travel.
Interact with: faculty directors and advisors regarding institution-building, research, and event planning; Law Center administration including Center & Institute Associate and Assistant Deans, COO, and CFO; legal and policy communities and related VIPs regarding Institute events and research; students regarding research projects, networking and educational events, and externships/internships; funders; media; and the public.
- Must have a Doctorate or JD.
- 5+ years legal work experience with a substantial focus on intellectual property, telecommunications, and/or Internet law and policy issues.
- The ideal candidate also will have some familiarity with technology-related privacy and/or national security issues.
- Other Skills: Management experience; experience with legislative and/or executive branch processes; experience with fundraising and grant management.
Sponsored Project Management
As the designated Department Financial Manager for Sponsored Project, the employee is responsible for financial management of the sponsored project to ensure compliance with sponsor's requirements and University's policies and procedures. Within 30 days after the close of the month (generally the 8th business day after the end of the month), the duties to be performed by the employee include, but not limited to:
- Review and reconcile expenses on the Center Status Reports to ensure that the expenses are a) allowable by the sponsor for the project, b) allocable to the project, c) reasonable and necessary, d) supported by required documents, and e) within the budgeted amounts;
- Review salary distributions to ensure that they reasonably reflect employees' level of effort on project. Review associated fringe benefits for accuracy;
- Review the commitments of key personnel, to ensure the costs reasonably reflect the level of effort committed to the sponsors as part of proposal and notify OSP/OSR of significant variances;
- Review the calculation of indirect cost recovery to ensure accuracy;
- Process all corrections and adjustments within 90 days of when the charge initially posts to the financial system (posted date for non-payroll and pay period end date for payroll transactions) and ensure corrections and adjustments are reviewed and approved according to the signature authority policy and supported by appropriate documents;
- Complete the Financial Status Report (FSR) worksheets timely and accurately; and
- Ensure that payments to subrecipients are reviewed and processed in a timely manner.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Law-Center/Executive-Director--Institute-for-Technology-Law-and-Policy---Georgetown-University-Law-Center_JR09416
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency