Early Childhood Teacher I
Job location: Commerce TAMUC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-13
Job TitleEarly Childhood Teacher IAgencyTexas A&M University - CommerceDepartmentChildren's Learning CenterProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationCommerce, TexasJob TypeStaffJob Description
The Lead Teacher is responsible for providing infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers with a safe, clean, happy learning environment while tending to each child's individual needs and serves as the Assistant Director over the Children’s Learning Center.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides a safe, educationally sound classroom environment.
- Handles discipline promptly and in accordance with stated policy on discipline.
- Reports to Director any suspected cases of child abuse and/or child neglect.
- Plans and implements an appropriate curriculum and activities for the group of children in classroom.
- Provides for the physical well-being of this specific group of children, including breakfast, lunch, snack, toileting, rest, and playtime.
- Gears the program to the needs of the individual child with concerns for his/her interests, handicaps, special talents, individual pace and style of learning, and cultural background.
- Assumes an equal share of the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff, keeping classroom clean, neat, and orderly.
- Attends all staff meetings and participates in recommended training programs, conferences, courses, and other aspects of professional growth.
- Plans and implements methods of establishing a positive liaison with parents of the students.
- Holds parent conferences when necessary.
- Works with and provides guidance and modeling for assistant teachers, teachers’ aides, and student workers/volunteers.
- Helps promote the Children’s Learning Center and maintain continuing public relations in the community.
- Aids in the plans and implementation of parent programs/involvement, including meetings and information relative to the center’s programs. Assists with parent/teacher conferences each semester.
- Keeps parents informed and up-to-date on policies, procedures, and center rules.
- Aids in the supervision of the center’s facility, including follow-up/repair and maintenance.
- Creates all FAMIS and canopy documents.
- Is in charge of the Children’s Learning Center in the absence of the Director; including but not limited to working with state licensing officials.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Two (2) years of related experience working with children. Must have interest in working with young children and display qualities necessary with working with them. Must be sensitive and mature individual who is able to relate well to both children and adults.
- Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Ability to obtain Child Development Associate within eight (8) months of hire OR must have a minimum of 12 hours of Early Childhood Education (ECE) college credit (must provide documentation of college credit with an official transcript).
- Physical Requirements: Must be eighteen years of age and in good physical health.
- Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Early childhood education experience or college level work in child development.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Student workers and graduate assistants
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.